“Exceptional”

Tallgrass Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 63 Restaurants in Lockport
Cuisines: French, American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lockport, Illinois, United States
“Exceptional”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

From the moment we were greeted at the door, until the final bite of dessert, just one exceptional dining experience. Considering myself an experienced foodie, and my guest having 30 + years owning dining establishments, I consider myself very particular & demanding when dining out. This was, by far, one of the finest meals I've ever experienced. The service from our lead server Colleen, and the rest of the assisting staff was impeccable...friendly, attentive & at just the right pace. We both chose the 4 course option, and had seven different selections, sharing a dessert, pineapple foster (topped with a homemade peanut brittle that was amazing!!). All were prepared perfectly, presented beautifully, and simply.....delicious!!! A unique, varied and eclectic menu which allows for the diner to select any items as appetizers, 2nd plate, entrée, etc. Everything is obviously made from scratch, very fresh, and quite unique. Not a single item of the 7 primary dishes would I hesitate to order again, as all were simply wonderful. Had such a variety....sea scallops, prawns, lobster lasagna, squab, duck (amazing flavor & tender!!), avocado salad, crab puff ( best I've EVER had!!), asparagus soup, to name just a few. Have heard from others that sometimes leave hungry from here & a little pricey....but honestly, we both had to force down our final plates & needed a break before enjoying the wonderful desert.....Our bill..... with 2 drinks each, including tax....$150!! Simply a bargain!!
If you are anywhere within an hour of here & don't make the trip.....you don't know what you're missing!!!! And how this isn't rated the #1 restaurant in Lockport just boggles my mind!!! BRAVO... Chef Bob & Tom......We'll be back.....SOON!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for a wonderful evening!!!!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Frank M

CHicago
“The very best on SW Side”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I've been here a dozen times over the years. It is hands down the finest dining experience on the entire south side. This place, and Courtrights are a close call. But the trout and imagination that goes into Tallgrass's creations cannot be beat, nor can the post-Victorian ambience. Servers are sedate but well-informed. Food is served with appropriate pomp and circumstance. The cuisine is delightful. Yes, it is expensive but its style is comparable to ,say, Les Nomade downtown, at no where near the cost.
It's a great value and a gem of the Southside.

4 Thank FrankieFile
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The food was so wonderful! One of the best and most interesting meals of my life. The most critical I can be about the food is that one item on a tasting plate had a flavor profile that didn't match the other items. Nevertheless, everything that my husband and I had was very delicious. Decor had a somewhat odd mixture of modern with the mostly traditional decor and building. Loved all the small touches - real crystal and silverware. Staff was small town, not downtown, but I found this refreshing. It's pricey, but I would recommend the food to anyone.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank 4Cubs
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Great”
Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

This is a great restaurant. It was my second visit and even better than the first time. First the food was excellent. 5 courses all excellent. Not one was average or above average but all fantastic. Second the wine list is short but great selection and full of bargains. Service is also top notch. If I lived anywhere near here I would dine regularly. As it is I have to wait for my next trip here.

1 Thank Steve R
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best epicuran restaurant in the Midwest!”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Creative Euro-American food served in an original, beautifully restored 19th c. building in historic downtown Lockport. Excellent and refined service overseen by the two creative and amiable owners. Creative chef voted best in Chicago area many times. Excellent selection of fine wines and liquers to complement meals.

1 Thank Mariner300