“Great pizza, wonderful salads”
Review of Pizza Brutta

Pizza Brutta
Ranked #26 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This has quickly become one of my favorite pizza places. Order at the counter from a list of "red" or "white" pizzas--the red ones have tomato sauce. All the pizzas are about 14 inch and thin crust. They are baked in a brick oven that approaches 1000 degrees, so it only takes a minute or two for baking. An entree salad and a pizza make a great meal for sharing with your dining partner. After ordering you are given a number on a little stand and the food is brought to your table. There is a tip jar near the cash register. On occasion I've stopped by to purchase some pizza dough to use for making a pizza at home.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We ambled over to Pizza Brutta because it happened to be around the corner from our hotel and we can't resist a toothsome pizza fresh from a wood oven. Within minutes we were savoring fragrant pies that surpassed our expectations--one topped with roasted mushrooms and a sprinkling of prosciutto, the other a classic quattro formaggi. We've lined up for pizza in other places--Phoenix, D.C.'s Dupont Circle and Burlington, Vermont--for legendary pizzas no better than these, made with ingredients fresh from local farms (exceptions: San Marzano tomatoes from Italy and organic flour from North Dakota). The Wisconsin-made mozzarella in the caprese salad isn't quite on a par with Italy's best, but still hard to resist.

The ambience at Pizza Brutta is nothing special and unless you're lucky enough to nab one of the few chairs with backs, you'll be perching on a bench. Still, if I lived here I'd be coming in for takeout once a week. As a tourist, I can't do that. And I like a good wine with my artisanal pizza, hence my one major quibble: the wine at Pizza Brutta just doesn't cut it. No selection, poor quality. My glass of cheap Chianti tasted so coarse, I stopped at one. Stick with beer at Pizza Brutta.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

They offer a good selection of gluten-free and vegan options. I really liked the salad with beets. Thin crust pizza that even my fussy husband likes!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

The food came quickly, the staff was friendly and attentive. The pizza was excellent! Great if you need lunch or dinner quickly. Lots of menu options for people with dietary restrictions.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I am one of the few people in the world who do not like pizza, However I do like pizza brutta and go there fairly often. My favorite thing there(and the favorite of many of my friends) is the cheese flatbread and the Brutta salad. I do not like the atmosphere the best simply because it is too noisy outside. However all their food is available for take out, so i do that. I also love how local and natural their ingredients are and that counts for a lot with me.