“Fresh, Quality” 4 of 5 bubbles

La Mestiza
Ranked #127 of 975 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Fresh, Quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

If you desire heavy laden, traditional chain restaurant Mexican food, don't visit La Mestiza.

We enjoy their flavorful, quality, well prepared options. Our lunch included three tamales (Pork, chicken, and cheese). I felt that the cheese was excellent. The pork and chicken tamales did not the consistency desired. The chicken was too severely blended and difficult to discern. My partner ordered Fish Tacos. They were very good. Large, flavorful Tilapia, excellent Pico de Gallo and homemade tortillas. I do not care for their salsa as I prefer mine chunky with more cilantro. However, we always find viable options with above average qualtiy.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Kewaskum, Wisconsin
“Late Lunch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I wanted Mexican food so she googled this place and it had decent reviews. The waiter sat us immediately and said someone would be with us shortly. The waitress arrived with water and didn't ask if we would like anything else to drink, which I thought was odd. I was eventually able to order a soda. We had never been to La Mestiza so we took longer to look at the menu and we were in no hurry. When the waitress came over to take our order I asked her if a particular dish was "Hot". She very rudely asked if I meant "spicy". Then in a very condescending tone of voice rambled on to me that it is not and there was only 1 dish on the menu that was and named the dish and told me if I read the menu I would know that! We did place an order but my wife was so taken back and upset by the way were we were spoken to and treated that she wanted to leave. She took money up to her at the counter and explained that we are paying for my soda but she could cancel our order and suggested she take a lesson in customer service.

We are professional, educated people that work with the public. All we were looking for was lunch on our way back out of town not to be scolded by a waitress with a serious attitude, when asking for an explanation of an entre at a restaurant we had never been to. We have never been treated like we were today in ANY restaurant. We understand we all have bad days but when you apply for a position that requires you work with the public you need to check it at the door.

I think that La Metiza should take a look at their staff and either do some additional training or get some employees that want to be there to serve their customers.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Stephanie B
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

We regularly go to La Mestiza for our Mexican food fix. Yummy salsa and chips. Tamales are a favorite of ours also. Good service.

Visited August 2014
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Great service! The guacamole is to die for and they have the best soft corn tortillas I've ever had! It's definitely off the beaten path but I'm glad we decided to come here!

Wisconsin
“Best Mexican West of the Capital”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

If you're craving authentic Mexican on the West side, you've got to try out La Mestiza in Market Square. I go there at least twice a month for consistently good food. Great chips and salsa. Favorite meal is Veggie Enchilada made with corn tortillas and lots of roasted zucchini, peppers, and onions, topped with a pumpkin seed sauce~ delicious! !