“Destination”

La Mestiza
Ranked #129 of 985 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Destination”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We enjoy La Mestiza often. The quality of food and preparation make this a destination restaurant. Our latest luncheon included Fish Tacos and Chicken Flautas. They were preceded by prompt and competent staff and a delightful tomatillo salsa and fresh, hot chips. Clearly made on premise.
The tacos were presented open face on two delicate tortillas about the size of a pancake. The Tilapia was lightly coated accompanied by pico de gallo. Excellent although slightly too much salt. The chicken Flautas contained flavorful, white chicken meat, lettuce, guacamole and queso fresco. If you desire firesh and flavorful Mexican cuisine, La Mestiza is worthy of your visit.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank GiseppeGord

madison, wi
“Sophisticated take on Mexican food”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This place in one of our regulars. Prices are reasonable, and the food is excellent, with more complex offerings then the usual Mexican restaurant. And the margarita de lujo is truly excellent. Their flan is also one of thebest that I have had in Madison.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank drala108
USA
“excellent”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stopped at La Mestiza for a late lunch. We found it because we were staying at a hotel nearby and I had a hankering for Mexican, so let Google maps point the way. It's tucked away in a little strip mall, but not hard to find. Even after 1:00 on a Friday, the place was relatively busy, which I take as a good sign. I had the chicken enchiladas with tender chicken and a green tomatillo sauce that was to die for. I don't remember the name of the dish my husband tried, but the sauce was rich and flavorful. I also had a margarita - very good, although not as fantastic as some of the other reviews led me to expect. Note that they bring one complimentary basket of chips and charge for a refill. Not a problem for us, since I don't like to fill up on chips. If we lived closer, I would definitely be a regular.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank PassinThru09
Madison, Wisconsin
“Food as bliss”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We tried La Mestiza for the first time yesterday for lunch and went back today for dinner. Great, great, great! The genius is in the sauces and salsas but nothing is taken for granted here, not even the delicate homemade tortilla chips. The salsa verde is the best we've ever tasted and I grew up along the Mexican border where excellent salsas abound. La Mestiza reaches deep into the interior of Mexico for inspiration and flavor, all the way to Oaxaca for an outstanding mole: rich, deep, complex, every bite a treasure. The room is small and unpretentious, and the staff is justifiably proud of what they serve you.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Tinajas
Gulf Breeze, Florida
“Gourmet Mexican in an upscale restaurant”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This upscale casual restaurant, complete with linen napkins, table cloths and fresh flowers on each table, offers gourmet Mexican dishes with prices that reflect its quality. The dinner menu, which features specialty entrees and twists on traditional dishes, leans heavy toward beef but offers three vegetarian and a few chicken options. Two of us enjoyed the delicious barbacoa, the daily specialty, but regretted we didn’t heed the server’s warnings. Though the flavorful beer-marinated dish didn’t taste spicy at the time, a few hours later we were reminded of the warning. The tomatillo sauce served with the complimentary basket of chips is sublime. One in our party raved about the delicious vegetarian sauce served on his dish, while another in our party noted that the mole chicken dish was bland. The servings are moderate-sized so try the creamy, caramel flan for dessert. It’s made there and has the best texture and taste of any flan I’ve ever eaten. The sangria is delicious, they have nonalcoholic beer options, and happy hour lasts well over an hour. After having eaten Mexican food in Texas and New Mexico, I'm a little spoiled, but La Mestiza didn't disappoint me. Don’t let the location fool you -- it’s small and in a strip shopping center but well worth a wait.

• Visited May 2013

Been to La Mestiza? Share your experiences!