“My new place for Mexican in Madison”
Review of La Mestiza

La Mestiza
Ranked #159 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had lunch here on Tuesday (2/26/13) with my husband. The restaurant is small, clean and has a nice decor and vibe. When we arrived at 11:30, there was only one other customer in there. I was a tad worried....that made me wonder if the food was any good? The waitress greeted us warmly and sat us at the window booth, brought us 2 glasses of water, a basket of chips (they are fresh tasting and fried right there) and a mild green salsa (it had a zip to it) and hot salsa. I only tried the green salsa, it was very good, tasted fresh, I could have just eaten chips and salsa, good stuff there. My husband likes very spicy hot food, and asked if they had a hotter salsa than the two at the table already, they do.....but it costs $1.59 for a little bowl of it.....that was strange....but we paid up and got it. My husband loved it, it was hot and spicy, made in house, he ate it with chips and then poured it all over his food he ordered. On a side note, if you want a refill of chips they charge you $1 a basket.....but the way I see it, if you want quality, fresh food, you are going to pay for it, that does not bother me, the chips are REALLY good. I ordered the lunch entree Flautas de Pollo for 5.99, it was 3 rolled tortillas deep fried and filled with white chicken, topped with cheese, lettuce, sour cream, diced tomato and guacamole. It was very good....my only issue, was the white chicken meat inside the fried tortillas seemed pretty bland and almost like that chicken you get from a can, I could be wrong though. The sauce on the dish was excellent. Overall, I liked my dish a lot. My husband ordered the lunch Tamales for 5.99, you get 3 tamales and my husband professed them to be some of the best he has ever had. I had an ice tea, it was fresh brewed, and tasted clean, loved it. Our waitress was really friendly, refilled our drinks promptly, boxed up my leftover food with a smile. We stuck around about 20 minutes after we finished eating, talking, and only 4 other people came in....it was shocking....I can't imagine why this place isn't packed, it is good food. We will be back again :)

1  Thank Miranda77

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I visited this gem of a restaurant last week on a trip to Epic. The shuttle driver recommended it as a non-chain Mexican restaurant with interesting food. I concur. The prices were very reasonable, the dining area was clean, the service was polite, and the menu varied. Strongly recommend.

1  Thank Burdett P
Reviewed February 2, 2013

After having numerous lunches here and enjoying them so much, we decided to try dinner. We both ordered the chicken enchiladas, one with verde and one with a pumpkin seed sauce. Our plates arrived and they were plated beautifully but here's where the disappointment began. After sampling each other's sauce, we both agreed that they tasted identical. Once under the sauce, the enchiladas seemed to have been microwaved vs baked or broiled even. Loosely wrapped tortillas around unseasoned chicken. Now there was a LOT of chicken but it was disturbingly reminiscent of canned chicken white meat-straight out of the package with no additional flavoring etc. So basically it was like opening a can of chicken from Costco, filling a tortilla with it, saucing it and nuking it.

1  Thank Shelley11
Reviewed January 5, 2013

La Mestiza is somewhat hidden in a strip mall on Madison's west side. It's well worth looking for, though. The food is always fresh, tasty, and nicely presented. If you're not too hungry, order the taco appetizer--three different tacos (with soft shells). For a big appetite, try the "cordero"--very, very good.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This place has the best Mexican food in or near Madison! My husband is from Mexico and he agrees, it's very authentic with many items on the menu that you don't often find in your run-of-the-mill or chain Mexican restaurants. The ingredients are very fresh and the service is exceptional. We were a family group of 9 adults, a toddler and a baby, and they did NOT add gratuity... We appreciated that!

From the carnitas to the guac, the fresh chips and salsa, oh and the the tacos al pastor... You can't find anything better! On another occasion we had the mole, also a great choice! Our 1 1/2 year old grandson loved the green salsa so much he used a spoon and ate it like soup!

The staff was very accommodating for our large group, there were no mistakes made with our order and the food was served quickly. Not only did it taste great, it looked great! We had the house margaritas as well, which are not made from a mix-they were great! They have a great choice of Mexican beers as well. Definitely worth a visit!!

1  Thank kargalvan