“A Home Away From Home!”

The Speckled Hen Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Madison B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Who knew that Madison, WI could hold such a gem as the Speckled Hen Inn!

When you drive down the driveway, you feel like you are driving home. It was just like looking at a postcard, with the animals in front of a beautiful barn with the white coral fence surrounding them. When we walked into the Inn, we were immediately comfortable. Our room was cozy and warm with a fireplace and the best walk in shower and jacuzzi tub! They Inn was so beautiful and spotless! The furnishings we well appointed and decorated perfectly!

Pat and Bob are the best hosts and make the most delicious and creative breakfasts we have ever had! They make their own jellies, maple syrup and have fresh eggs from their chickens. They were so kind and accommodating...we felt like we knew them all our lives.

This is also the perfect romantic spot for a weekend getaway. We will definitely go back and visit in the spring!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed February 7, 2010

For the past 35 years my wife and I have gone to another B & B in Wisconsin whenever we have a chance for a weekend get a way. I have been after my wife to try a different place for several years and she finally agreed to go to The Speckled Hen this weekend. We stayed in largest suite and our room was clean, spacious and decorated with beautiful antique furnishing. A large jacuzzi in the Bed Room and a double shower in the bathroom were wonderful. The location was about 8 miles from downtown Madison but in a very rural setting. We can't wait to return in the warmer seasons when all the flora are in bloom. My favorite part of the weekend was the breakfast on Sunday morning. Our breakfast was 5 star. The owners won a contest last year in a cookoff between Wisconsin B & B's.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

If you're visiting the Madison, WI, area, this B&B is a fantastic place to stay. It's a perfect combination of quality and comfort. We stayed in the Token Creek room, which was spacious, comfortable and nicely appointed with a great two-person shower and spa tub. The common room is a great place to relax and read, play a game or choose a movie to bring back to your room. Breakfast was fantastic (pecan maple muffins, oatmeal pancakes and homemade maple syrup) and innkeepers Patricia and Robert are gracious, personable and wonderful hosts. I highly recommend staying there for at least two nights ( we unfortunately were only there for one) so you have an opportunity to enjoy the inn and sit in their lovely gazebo, walk the property and see the sheep and llamas, or simply relax with a book and a glass of wine. It's just a short drive to downtown Madison and close by to several areas where you can cross-country ski. I will definintely be back to this inn for a longer stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2009

My husband and I did a cross-country trip this summer, and the first half saw us visiting such notable places as Lake Tahoe, Craters of the Moon, the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore. Madison marked our midway point because from there on we were either visiting friends or family. We decided to take a break from the Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden, Ameritel Inn and Homewood Suites (all of which were quite nice for this type of driving trip), and stay at more homey lodgings and chose this top-rated B&B in Madison.

The Speckled Hen more than lived up to its high marks. The room was large, comfy and well-appointed, with a large bathroom (including a spa bath). The owners were friendly and accessible, but not invasive.

I gather that a fair number of guest use the inn for romantic getaways and I can understand why.

Breakfast was to die for and hearty - believe me you won't be eating lunch on the days you stay here.

We spent two wonderful days at the Speckled Hen Inn. Slight drawback would be that you'd need a car because it's a bit out from town centre, but given that everyone drives in the US doubt that's much of a deterrent.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2009

We stayed at the B&B for 4 nights and liked it a lot. Its location is very convenient to explore Madison and surroundings (about 15 minutes to downtown, about 1 hour to Taliesin). The innkeepers Pat & Bob are very friendly and both great cooks - breakfasts are sumptuous and varied and use the fruits and eggs from the farm. Also they have a nice wine collection where wines can be bought by the glass or bottle for reasonable prices. The inn is a good choice whether you like to keep to yourself (let's say romantic getaway) or want to commune with other guests. If you want to commune - the great room is where everybody meets (close to the wine collection). If not, there is no pressure to do so.
We stayed in the Rising Sun room for the first 2 nights which has a nice Japanese theme. The first night was rainy causing the Interstate to be quite audible, 2nd night without rain it wasn't a problem. The last 2 nights we stayed in the Heywood Hardy suite which certainly was nicer (as reflected in the room rate) with a master bed room and a living room.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We were there on the last day of July, and would concur with all of the wonderful, complimentary comments that have been expressed in the many reviews below this one. None of them are exaggerated -- it's just a lovely B&B. The owners are very nice, friendly people. The breakfast was excellent -- in a real candlelit setting, no less. Our Starkweather Creek room was nicely appointed, with an extra large "two-room" bathroom.

However I think I should mention a couple things for readers to be aware of (and I see that "Accounting Professor" ((so am I)) right below here just beat me to the first point). The B&B sits very close to I-90/94, and when outside, or inside with the windows open, there is a considerable roadway din. With the windows closed, however, we didn't notice it -- and slept well in our king-size comfy bed.

The other point would be that the pictures of the balcony on the backside of the B&B must be very old. You can no longer see most of the balcony because the trees have grown up considerably -- so conversely, from the balcony (which was just outside our room) you can no longer see anything but the backside of the trees. Probably no big deal to most of you readers, but a balcony with a view is just something that I relish and look for.

Those comments notwithstanding, I still give it a high rating and recommendation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Weston66
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We spent Friday and Saturday, Oct. 16 & 17, 2009 at the Speckled Hen. All guests, to whom we spoke, were in town for the game; both Wiscosin and Iowa fans. I booked in May and at that time the only room available was "The Rising Sun". Obviously. one must book even further ahead than 5 months during football season. At present there are only 4 rooms, but the owners informed us that during the winter there will be a major renovation project and a 5th room will be created.

Our room was the least expensive room at the B&B. The size was adequate and we did not have an issue with crossing the hall to the bathroom. Having said that, we prefer to have the bathroom en suite. For my football addcited husband, the major issue was the TV in the room, It was tiny and there was no good spot for viewing. Honestly, we would have preferred one of the larger rooms upstairs with the flat screen TVs. Last to book gets the smallest room!

As mentioned in many of the reviews, the breakfast held us over until dinner each day. We are not large breakfast eaters at home and rarely have eggs. Both of our breakfasts featured eggs and cheese. Filling combinations!

Bob (spelled with one "o", inside joke) seated himself at the communal breakfast table each morning and answered questions regarding Madison, the B&B, etc. We enjoyed conversing with him and the other guests.

I am compelled to add that I-90 is very close to the property. No one has mentioned this fact, but I heard considerable road noise with our window closed. You should be aware that the property is rurual, but civilization is two football fields away.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple