“Beautiful Inn - Wondeful Service”
Review of Mansion Hill Inn

Mansion Hill Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Madison B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 16, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Mansion Hill Inn this past week. We have only positive comments we can make. The inn is a beautiful Victorian style B&B. We were greeted by a competent and friendly coed. She explained the inn and options available, valet parking, breakfast, newspaper - the ususals. We were then escorted to our room where she pointed out all of the ammenities.

The room was beautiful, warm clean and had a large wonderful bathroom. In addition there was a balcony that over looked the city. We were told about the breakfast options and were advised to place the order by 9:00 PM the night before on our door with the time to be served. We elected 8:00 AM and the breakfast arrived right at 8:00 and it was hot and delicious.

There is a beautiful parlor for reading, conversation and a glass of complimentary wine. My wife and I would definitely recommend this inn for its friendliness (we met the manager and she was wondeful as well), cleanliness, charm and romantic atmosphere.

Mansion Hill Inn would definitely be our first choice of stay in Madison.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed April 30, 2007

My husband & I spent our wedding anniversary at this treasure of a bed & breakfast, which we discovered in Madison Magazine. What an enjoyable time we had; the service was incredible and everyone made us feel so welcomed! We just loved our suite, which we took full advantage of the whirlpool tub to soak our stress away. With our suite being at the very top of the spiral staircase, we were left with an incredible view of the Capitol. They even took my husband's and my picture together with the sprial staircase behind us. We were invited to walk through the mansion and take in the fabulous decor' of the many beautiful rooms; we also had the opportunity to take many photographs to cherish our special memories. We will definately be back for another stay! ~very pleased

Stayed: February 2006
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My husband and I just returned from spending our first anniversary at the Inn over the weekend.

Bottom line: While the staff tried hard, the location was far from quaint or romantic, too much of the stay was "self service", and the website is misleading. For over $300/night plus, I expected quite a bit more. If you're staying in the Madison area and want something in town but romantic, stay at one of the lake-front chain hotels. You'll save money and have better amenities.

The Good: The staff was attentive and kind when they were there and could be located. They were also very flexible and provided the full "romance" package (including rose petals and non-alc champagne) on one days' notice. The rooms (that we saw and the one we stayed in) were beautifully appointed, clean and comfortable.

The Bad: Perhaps due to my lack of research into the actual location of the B&B (I'd never been to Madison before) we were disapointed when we arrived. The website states the B&B "at 424 N. Pinckney St., is one of the four historic mansions still standing at the North Pinckney-East Gilman intersection, on the ridge along Lake Mendota." What they don't mention is that 1) you cannot see the lake from the hotel, and 2) that the hotel is located smack downtown in campustown with student housing all around it and packed-solid street parking in all directions. In fact, the popular college bar district is only about 3 blocks away. The photos on the website are also misleading as they show the sides of the building and the courtyard, thereby excluding any "big city" views. The lot is quite small and the quote on the website which states "Once, the Mansion was surrounded by a grove of butternut trees, gardens and a stable of Arabian horses. Now the grounds are landscaped into a Victorian garden with a beautiful fountain" still has me scratching my head as to just where they were referring to. The Inn looked to be like any brownstone or townhouse on a city lot that you would find in say NY or Chicago. Finally, the website stated our room (the Conover Suite) had a "private balcony". While we did have a balcony that we did not have to share with another room, it was far from private - it was the top of the overhang for the front door of the Inn. When we tried to sit out and have breakfast there the first morning, we were a constant focus for curious college students walking by. It just made us feel a little uncomfortable.

Apart from location, there were other things that were disapointing about the hotel. First, the price per night that is shown initially online is for one guest. When you select the standard "two" guests, the price jumps significantly (in our case from $280/night to $310/night). I dont know many folks who stay at a B&B alone. Second, the staff of mostly college students were kind when we could find them, but finding them proved difficult sometimes. For instance when we arrived and were shown to our room, we discovered the bottle of champagne we were told would be waiting wasn't there. My husband went back to the front desk to inquire and couldn't find anyone anywhere on the main floor. After a few minutes he gave up and came back. Also, since parking is a mess, they state they offer valet parking. When we arrived, the valet spot in front of the hotel had a student's vehicle parked there and so we had to double park with me staying in the car while my husband went and rang the bell. Once we did get the car taken care of, and went to retrieve it the next day, once again no one was at the front desk nor anywhere around. After waiting a bit, we finally saw our car key in a cubby behind the desk, retrieved it ourselves and left a note that we had taken our car. Finally, I agree with the past reviews that breakfast left a lot to be desired. There were basically three choices for breakfast: 1) toasted granola cereal; 2) bread (ie. a bagel, sweet bread or toast); or 3) "belgian waffles". We selected the waffles the first day and asked for butter and fruit compote topping (both offered as options). Apparently you only get ONE topping option and no butter was included on the tray - its a small thing but just seemed a little chintzy. The waffles were mass produced and dry. I'm assuming the B&B doesn't have any kitchen services since no cooked items (like bacon, etc) were offered. If you wanted extra or additional items, you had to pay an upcharge. We skipped breakfast our second day and went to have brunch at a local cafe.

One small caveat: if you are elderly, handicapped or have any mobility issues this is not the B&B for you. The only way to the rooms (other than those on the main floor) is up a VERY steep and narrow winding staircase. When we started up, the attendant told us she recommended we stay to the wall-side of the staircase and use the rail. Being a little top heavy (8 mos pregnant) it was a bit of a trick getting up and down the stairs each day. Luckily we were only on the 2nd floor.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Choosy_Traveller
Reviewed December 23, 2006

One of the nicer B & Bs I have stayed in. 9000 square feet old historic home. Service was pleasant, but not exceptional, breakfast was okay, but a little mass produced and left out on a tray for when you are ready for it. No call to our room to let us know it was ready. Nice touches like Aveda products, New York Times, wine at night. Was allowed to look at many of the rooms, all seemed more than adequate with many craft features. Bedding and shower were very nice.

• Stayed: December 2006
11  Thank bhoppy
A TripAdvisor Member
Derby, England
Reviewed January 15, 2006

My wife and i stayed here for a cousins wedding and as it was our first big holiday since our wedding we thought we'd splash out on a nice romantic and expensive place to stay, unfotunately we were a bit disappointed.
Positives for the hotel are that the location is good, the architecture of the building is exceptionable and the staff were very friendly.
Negatives were that we ended up in the downstairs room where the light wasn't good, the pipes made noises over the bed and the breakfast was uninspiring.
All in all it's not a bad place and everything is ok but we had paid enough money so that things should be better than ok.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

Based on the generally favorable reviews here and a 4 star AAA rating I chose to stay here (instead of at the Hilton, the event hotel) for two nights recently. I think the website makes the property seem better than it actually is. The positives: good, quiet location (but requires crossing three busy streets without a light to get downtown); lovely bed linens; great air-conditioning; nice delivered breakfast; nice public lounge; free wireless access. The negatives: I stayed in two lowest floor rooms, which were pretty beat up and small. The outside entrance door to the Atomic Room couldn't be opened or locked easily. My major complaint was the shower in each room, where the water came out in a trickle and the temperature was impossible to regulate. Also, only down pillows were provided - and they were too soft.

I would say the the rooms on higher floors looked more spacious, more luxurious, and more well-kept. My advice would be to spend as much as you can afford at this property, and avoid the two ground floor budget rooms. There was nothing else available for me - or at least the staff said that. I did notice some unused better rooms early both mornings. Not sure if they were late cancellations or the staff wanted the cheapo rooms occupied.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank Spacrawler
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We stayed at this inn for a weekend in May when we attended our son's graduation from Univ. of Wisconsin. It was our sixth stay there so we obviously like the inn very much. We stayed in the Lillie Langtry Room on the second floor facing the front. There are many touches that we like such as the robes, the breakfast delivered to our room, the warm personal service, and the quiet location on the corner of Gilman & Pinckney Streets. The location, near enough to the campus, but far from the noise, is within easy walking distance from State St. and the very good restaurants and bars near the capitol. My criticisms of the inn are that the prices are a bit high, and that the complimentary wine put out in the late afternoon usually disappears quickly. Also, there are shutters in the rooms to block out the light that are kind of a nuisance to close. But all in all, this is a wonderful inn and we enjoy our stays there.

• Stayed: May 2005