“What a great hotel - so lucky to have stayed there”
Review of Mansion Hill Inn

Mansion Hill Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Madison B&B and Inns
London, UK
“What a great hotel - so lucky to have stayed there”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

This hotel was recommended to me by a colleague and I am so grateful that they did. This hotel was recommended to me by a colleague and I am so grateful that they did. The staff are very helpful and will do all that they can to help you settle in after travelling all day. I arrived and my luggage didn't, so the hotel staff helped with providing toiletries and some clothing as well as sorting out cleaning the clothes that I had travelled in, then they took charge of chasing and collecting my luggage for me whilst I was at work. The rooms are really lovely and comfortable and quite with each one being unique, whilst the rest of the hotel feels like staying in someone's house. It is really handy for the centre of Madison where there are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from. If you want something special and different from the rest try 'The Inn' you will not be disappointed....... I wasn't!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Milwaukee
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We were lucky enough to stay at the Mansion Hill Inn for one night this spring. The newly redesigned boutique-style hotel offers beautiful rooms, fantastic customer service and an ideal location for exploring Madison. The terrace was not completed when we stayed in May, but has since been added. We look forward to our next stay and would HIGHLY recommend this charming Inn for anyone looking for a quiet, clean and 5-star experience in Madison.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Hudson, WI
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Mansion Hill Inn several times beginning in 1993. We found it to be a beautiful, romantic place. We were stunned at the changes made by the most recent renovation. Not only is the Inn more beautiful than before but the service far exceeds what we experienced previously.
Specifically, Amanda, Michael and Adam were both gracious and accommodating.
Now that we no longer have children attending the University we will have to invent reasons to come to Madison and stay at this beautiful, friendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Madison, WI
Reviewed July 1, 2009

My wife and I had an incredibly romantic celebration of our 28th wedding anniversary at the Mansion Hill Inn. We had some friends join us in the cozy bar and parlor for drinks and dinner, and it felt like we were hosting a private party in our own estate, complete with our personal serving staff. The cheerful hosts helped order a delivered meal to the parlor, and attended to our every need. The amazing restoration of this beautiful building makes it a real Madison gem and a terrific central location for a pampered and comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 27, 2009

This is a true treasure of a hotel and the recent rennovations turn it into nothing short of a Hilton/ Sheraton. Beige... no character and such interesting nooks and hidden bookcases are all gone. This modern update is everything I feared. This gem of a hotel has been stripped of its' character. A sad day indeed. i will not return.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jkarlson
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I started staying at Mansion Hill Inn in 2006 when I traveled to Madison for business. All the rooms were different and had so much antique charm. They used to have minibars, dvd players, complimentary wine in parlor and the best was the giant jacuzzi tubs in almost all the rooms. The place was a total showstopper. It was my #1 pick in madison.

Now only 2 rooms have tubs. The prices are all up at least $100 per room even in the 3 VERY small rooms. And all the rooms pretty much have the same look and design now. It's bland and boring. When I asked for breakfast in my room they said they didn't do that anymore. They also don't offer frequent biz traveler/corporate discount anymore.

What gives???? The only thing they ADDED with the renovation was a higher room cost. I can only wonder how long they'll stay in business this way.

Go to the Madison Concourse Hotel instead---you'll get free happy hour, snacks, desserts, cocktails, breakfast. I get a giant room on the club level with all the amenities and a hundred bucks less than Mansion Hill. So long Mansion Hill... sorry

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank SimonSmith67
Illinois
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed at Mansion Hill Inn for the first time in April 2007. I found it online when looking for a getaway spot with my boyfriend, and I was captivated by the way each room had its own history and personality. I returned at least 8 times through Feb. 2008 when I was told they were closing soon for renovations.

I read about the sale to Trek. There was much speculation in Madison about whether the inn would ever open again to the public, or be strictly reserved for Trek executives. I have checked the website anxiously many times over the last year, waiting to see what the "new" interior design would look like.

Today I revisited the inn through the small photos the new owners have finally posted of the new room designs. I knew all 11 (now 10) of those rooms. What a disappointment. Not only did they strip most of the sumptuous bathrooms of their jacuzzi tubs (a big plus in my book), they converted every room into a plain vanilla, hardly recognizable boring hotel.

They removed most of the lovely antiques--including some unique and amazing beds and window coverings--put the same wallpaper and floor treatments and bed coverings in all rooms, and even the furniture arrangements don't make sense. An example would be "Room 8," formerly the Lillie Langtry. In a large room with several spaces and walls to work with, why move a bed close to the entryway and parallel, and just a few feet, from a marble fireplace? Not exactly private and romantic. Who wants to sleep---or do what romantic grownups do--- right next to the door...?

Lastly-- in a demonstration of just how little creativity and style the new owners have--the rooms have been renamed "room 1, room 2," etc. Sigh.

Another disappointment but hardly a surprise---The prices have all gone up at least $100 per room, in spite of the fact that many of the rooms have been stripped of their major amenities such as the dvd players in-room, refrigerators with well stocked minibars, and jacuzzi tubs. There is no longer breakfast service delivered to your door---you have to go to the parlor. I guess the new visitors are paying for the redecorating.

I suppose for visitors who had never known the Inn pre-Trek, the "renovation" might not be as unappealing as I find it. But I feel so, sooo disappointed, having known the Mansion Hill Inn when it had character, and now...when it looks like a Marriott. What a terrible loss. I'm really sad to say I won't return.

(PS: Someone needs to proofread the new website. It is covered with spelling errors. ugh.)

Stayed April 2009, traveled solo