“Great Place”
Review of Mansion Hill Inn

Mansion Hill Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Madison B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 20, 2008

I am really quite baffled by the bad reviews. I am in the hospitality industry at a ski resort in Vail, CO
This is a quaint, historic, peaceful, pleasant,relaxing place to stay
the breakfast though limited is very pleasant - the waffles came
with everything on a silver tray with french press fresh coffee - and it was on time every morning served by a fabulous member of the staff. I took coffee on my patio every morning - it was quiet,
serene, private, the trees and flora were wonderful.
The room I had (the Study) was small but served my purpose.
The bed was so comforable and I slept like a baby every night.
in fact I bought a mattress and box springs just like it when I got home
The wine and cheese tray were good - always on time and I took my glass of wine on the patio where I visited with several wonderful guests.- the gatherings were small and one or two glasses of wine were the norm - but the conversations between guests were wonderful.
I am also a handicapped guest so being on garden level alotted me the opportunity to enjoy the relaxing surroundings.
Valet Parking - Cars were parked 1/2 block away - even when
I walked to my car instead of asking someone to go get my car
it was convient. So stay at this 5 star - it is worth the price
Barb

Stayed: July 2007

Reviewed October 23, 2007

My husband & I stayed in the Carrie Pierce Room. The room was large and really lovely - a nice spot for a romantic evening (especially with that 2-person hot tub in the very spacious bathroom). The shower is not very nice though - the water temp fluctuated and the showerhead kept moving around - and the bathroom door had a tendency to pop open.

Service was good. Staff was very friendly, helpful.

Breakfast was not good - there are so many good places to eat in Madison, skip this stale breakfast and go out somewhere instead.

Would definitely stay here again for the ambiance.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2007

We spent one night at Mansion Hill in the Lillie Langtry room, and had a wonderful time. The location can't be beat - walking distance to State Street, UWM, lots of restaurants, shopping, and the capital building.
The room rate, although a little high, did include parking, which can be tough to find in Madison. It was clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful. We could see the lit up capital building at night from the balcony.
I agree with other reviewers, that the breakfast was ok, but we had planned to eat breakfast on State Street anyway.

• Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Just returned from staying three days, two nights at the Mansion Hill. Situated in a lovely neighborhood within a few blocks of the capitol building, and State Street Mall which has restaurants and shopping. Madison itself is a very livable city, and the Inn is in a quiet neighborhood. Yes, there are houses next door, but never felt as if they were intruding on me, or me on them.

Had one of the smaller rooms, but had access to the veranda where I ate breakfast each morning. Breakfast was delivered promptly on time, which was important as I was there on business. Wake up calls came as requested. Bed was extremely comfortable, and there was a lovely cabinet complete with TV, so able to watch in the privacy of own room. Even had a DVD player, with DVDs available at the front desk.

The Inn is quiet, peaceful with very helpful staff. Very accomodating, as I arrived extremely early in the morning, 10 am, and as my room was available I was able to check right in.

I would stay there again, and would recommend the property to anyone who is going to Madison and tired of staying in the chain hotels.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 27, 2007

My fiancee and I just returned from a weekend in Madison, where we spent one night at the Mansion Hill Inn.
True, the staff is friendly and the inn in itself is beautiful, but beyond that, this place simply is not worth the money.
We arrived and were able to check-in early and park on the side of the building without any valet, which was very convenient. That's when things started to go downhill. We went outside to enjoy our balcony, when we noticed that we could see the couple next door through their window, and everything they were doing -- rather uncomfortable, this forced us to go back to our room and abandon the nice weather. However, some drunk people were having a barbeque behind the inn, and this disrupted the peace and quiet in our room.
The wine reception consisted of two half-filled carafes and some mini-pretzels and mustard, and when we walked in, the pretentious other guest acted as if we were bothering her crossword puzzle and awkwardly left the room.
The shower was excellent, but we agreed that the bed was probably the least comfortable we've slept on in a while. As for breakfast, they managed to mess up a bowl of granola and a Belgian waffle. It was served on a silver platter, as advertised, but the platter itself was the only positive thing about it.
All in all, it was fine for a night, but had we planned more than that, I would have moved to the Hilton on the other side of the Capitol, which I have stayed at before and is both nicer and a better value than the Mansion Hill Inn.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank uwdsr
Reviewed May 16, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Mansion Hill Inn this past week. We have only positive comments we can make. The inn is a beautiful Victorian style B&B. We were greeted by a competent and friendly coed. She explained the inn and options available, valet parking, breakfast, newspaper - the ususals. We were then escorted to our room where she pointed out all of the ammenities.

The room was beautiful, warm clean and had a large wonderful bathroom. In addition there was a balcony that over looked the city. We were told about the breakfast options and were advised to place the order by 9:00 PM the night before on our door with the time to be served. We elected 8:00 AM and the breakfast arrived right at 8:00 and it was hot and delicious.

There is a beautiful parlor for reading, conversation and a glass of complimentary wine. My wife and I would definitely recommend this inn for its friendliness (we met the manager and she was wondeful as well), cleanliness, charm and romantic atmosphere.

Mansion Hill Inn would definitely be our first choice of stay in Madison.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 30, 2007

My husband & I spent our wedding anniversary at this treasure of a bed & breakfast, which we discovered in Madison Magazine. What an enjoyable time we had; the service was incredible and everyone made us feel so welcomed! We just loved our suite, which we took full advantage of the whirlpool tub to soak our stress away. With our suite being at the very top of the spiral staircase, we were left with an incredible view of the Capitol. They even took my husband's and my picture together with the sprial staircase behind us. We were invited to walk through the mansion and take in the fabulous decor' of the many beautiful rooms; we also had the opportunity to take many photographs to cherish our special memories. We will definately be back for another stay! ~very pleased

Stayed: February 2006