All reviewslake mendotaother guestsprivate pierswedish pancakesgothic revivalhideaway roombreakfast was deliciousmodern conveniencescomplimentary glass of wineb bsrestaurant suggestionswonderful hostsbed and breakfasta lovely staymin walkwe loved our staylovely room
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had never stayed in Madison before, but have visited many B&Bs, which is our preferred accommodation. We selected the Livingston Inn because we read so many of their positive ratings. Couldn't have been happier with our choice! The Inn is beautiful, tastefully decorated and very architecturally historical. The location was great, since it seemed to be somewhat close to everything we had planned on visiting in town. Our room was gorgeous and had an attached sitting room that was private, which was very nice. The grounds were also beautiful, with a walkway down to the lake. By far, what made our stay most memorable was the hospitality of the innkeepers, especially Peggy. She really made us feel at home (and spoiled us rotten!) She took the time to sit & chat with us and we felt like real friends by the end of our stay. The food was superb and portions very generous (couldn't possibly eat everything!). Homemade egg casseroles, breads, muffins, granola, fruit, etc. etc...Late afternoon glass (or 2) of wine was most enjoyable, especially sharing company with Peggy in the living room. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The decor/use of antiques, cleanliness, friendly and helpful hosts (without being overly-solicitous), breakfast, outdoor spaces (walk down & sit beside the lake, or just sit on the porch) and location all make this an A-1 B&B. I was there for a business trip and, since I don't mind walking, could easily walk to-and-fro downtown and restaurants. I recommend this for any kind of trip: romantic, solo or just a place to stop & visit Madison.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The Livingston Inn is not your typical B&B. There are plenty of old homes out there with nice decorations and perky hosts, and they are fine and enjoyable. But The Livingston Inn is truly in a different league. This stately home in Madison is breathtaking in its grandeur and significance. The hosts are genuinely warm and interested in their guests and in sharing the history of their home. Peggy is gracious, accommodating and knowledgeable. I felt like we could be friends for life.

Our bed was wonderfully comfortable, and our room was absolutely quiet despite being on a busy street. Breakfast was huge and tasty, and Peggy gave us the extra muffins to take home. We were able to look in all the rooms, and they are all nice in their own ways. You can't go wrong here.

It is a quick walk downtown. There is a path to Lake Mendota behind the house.

The yard is beautiful. Sit outside and feel the breeze.

I recommend The Livingston Inn wholeheartedly and can't wait for the opportunity to return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Have a reason to go to Madison? Then, stay here. Don't have a reason? Now you do!

Chose the Livingston Inn from the outstanding reviews and now I know why the reviewers were gushing.

The rooms are lovely with an extraordinary attention to details. The bedding is so soft and comfortable. Cannot figure put how the showers are so great in such an old home - even if everything has been updated. The breakfasts, snacks and wine are fabulous. And, the location is wonderful as well with a 12 min. Walk to the square. However, it is Peggy and Dave's warmth and service that make the experience so special.

Just a note that the stairs to the rooms are steep for an elderly person. Also, the rooms at night are somewhat chilly in the summer due to the way the air conditioning is set. Just makes me want to experience this special place in other seasons.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Groupworker
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My buddy and I try to take an overnight trip to Madison about once each year to catch up and enjoy the town. Typically we stay at a chain hotel downtown. No more! This time, we decided to stay at the Livingston Inn and it will be the place I go every time I'm in Madison now! First, the location of the property is ideal. It is just steps from the shore of Lake Mendota and I had a stunning view of the water and the adjacent park from my room. It is also a short walk (10 mins) to the Capitol, all the great restaurants on the Square and State Street; we made the trek three times in 24 hours and it was very pleasant, both by day and night! Now, the Inn itself is really magnificent! It is a stately building, perched on a large, slightly elevated lot with big old trees shading the entrance. It exudes old-time sophistication and luxury. The owners have restored the property unbelievably well, retaining the "old" while adding all sorts of modern comforts. The rooms are large and very comfortable with superb beds and bedding and Aveda products in the bathroom. Those attributes alone would be enough to bring me back to Livingston Inn, but Peggy's hospitality and great breakfast really made the experience special. She is one of the warmest, most engaging innkeepers I've ever met! And she makes a mean frittata! Staying there was like returning home to stay with dear, old friends! If you're going to be in Madison, there is really no reason to stay anywhere else! This place is really special and I'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Lake Mendota Room was really special.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends