“Excellent”

Ranked #3 of 7 Madison B&B and Inns
Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The decor/use of antiques, cleanliness, friendly and helpful hosts (without being overly-solicitous), breakfast, outdoor spaces (walk down & sit beside the lake, or just sit on the porch) and location all make this an A-1 B&B. I was there for a business trip and, since I don't mind walking, could easily walk to-and-fro downtown and restaurants. I recommend this for any kind of trip: romantic, solo or just a place to stop & visit Madison.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Madison, WI
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The Livingston Inn is not your typical B&B. There are plenty of old homes out there with nice decorations and perky hosts, and they are fine and enjoyable. But The Livingston Inn is truly in a different league. This stately home in Madison is breathtaking in its grandeur and significance. The hosts are genuinely warm and interested in their guests and in sharing the history of their home. Peggy is gracious, accommodating and knowledgeable. I felt like we could be friends for life.

Our bed was wonderfully comfortable, and our room was absolutely quiet despite being on a busy street. Breakfast was huge and tasty, and Peggy gave us the extra muffins to take home. We were able to look in all the rooms, and they are all nice in their own ways. You can't go wrong here.

It is a quick walk downtown. There is a path to Lake Mendota behind the house.

The yard is beautiful. Sit outside and feel the breeze.

I recommend The Livingston Inn wholeheartedly and can't wait for the opportunity to return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
St louis MO
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Have a reason to go to Madison? Then, stay here. Don't have a reason? Now you do!

Chose the Livingston Inn from the outstanding reviews and now I know why the reviewers were gushing.

The rooms are lovely with an extraordinary attention to details. The bedding is so soft and comfortable. Cannot figure put how the showers are so great in such an old home - even if everything has been updated. The breakfasts, snacks and wine are fabulous. And, the location is wonderful as well with a 12 min. Walk to the square. However, it is Peggy and Dave's warmth and service that make the experience so special.

Just a note that the stairs to the rooms are steep for an elderly person. Also, the rooms at night are somewhat chilly in the summer due to the way the air conditioning is set. Just makes me want to experience this special place in other seasons.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Groupworker
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My buddy and I try to take an overnight trip to Madison about once each year to catch up and enjoy the town. Typically we stay at a chain hotel downtown. No more! This time, we decided to stay at the Livingston Inn and it will be the place I go every time I'm in Madison now! First, the location of the property is ideal. It is just steps from the shore of Lake Mendota and I had a stunning view of the water and the adjacent park from my room. It is also a short walk (10 mins) to the Capitol, all the great restaurants on the Square and State Street; we made the trek three times in 24 hours and it was very pleasant, both by day and night! Now, the Inn itself is really magnificent! It is a stately building, perched on a large, slightly elevated lot with big old trees shading the entrance. It exudes old-time sophistication and luxury. The owners have restored the property unbelievably well, retaining the "old" while adding all sorts of modern comforts. The rooms are large and very comfortable with superb beds and bedding and Aveda products in the bathroom. Those attributes alone would be enough to bring me back to Livingston Inn, but Peggy's hospitality and great breakfast really made the experience special. She is one of the warmest, most engaging innkeepers I've ever met! And she makes a mean frittata! Staying there was like returning home to stay with dear, old friends! If you're going to be in Madison, there is really no reason to stay anywhere else! This place is really special and I'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Lake Mendota Room was really special.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mikechi22
Geneva, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and another couple came to the Livingston Inn to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday! What a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion! The Inn is lovely, the food was spectacular and Peggy and Dave were so kind and accommodating...they made us feel more like family than guests! They even were gracious enough to allow another couple come and surprise my husband and we had a mini cocktail party before our dinner in their beautiful parlor! Thanks to them, we managed to eat at one of the best restaurants downtown Madison has to offer and take in all the lovely sights downtown and on the lakefront! It is such an easy walk to get to all the Capital city has to offer! We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I highly recommend the Livingston Inn. It was all I'd hoped for and more. I usually have trouble sleeping away from home, but the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and I slept like a rock. The inn is quiet, perfectly clean, and at the same time homey and inviting. Peggy and Dave are very accommodating, helpful, and friendly. Breakfasts are delicious - homemade granola, yogurt, fresh berries, homemade coffee cake, a souffle(!), omelets. Each night, I was welcomed back with wine and homemade cookies. Peggy has a beautiful garden out back. Watching the sunset over the lake from their pier is a perfect way to relax after a long day. Using public transportation to get from the airport to the Inn is incredibly easy and a fraction of the cost of a taxi. Likewise, transportation via bus from Capitol square to Epic in Verona is a breeze and allows you to start your day with a refreshing 10-15 minute walk along the lake and up to the capitol. You arrive at Epic just in time for the 8:30 training start. The ride back at the end of the day leaves a little later than the typical 4:30 end time allowing you to catch up on email or tour the campus. There is no fitness room at the Inn, but it is in a great location for walking or running and there is plenty of space in the rooms or at the park next door for stretching or yoga. I can't express how much better this place is than any hotel in the Madison area in terms of service, location, food, comfort and cleanliness.

Room Tip: I stayed in the William T Leitch room at the front of the house. I had absolutely no noise issues d...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jennifer B
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Livingston Inn served up all we expected and then some. Peggy and Dave were welcoming and provided good recommendations specific to our interests. Our room was comfortable and clean, especially the bedding, so much so that we almost didn't feel like leaving the room at all. Once we made it outside, we quickly gained an appreciation for the Inn's convenient location. It is just a short walk to the capitol where we found many dining options, a fantastic Farmers' Market (Saturdays), and a great selection of tasty local craft beers and cocktails to enjoy well into the night. We had an all around good time at the Livingston Inn, and we look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple