All reviewslake mendotaother guestsprivate pierswedish pancakesgothic revivalhideaway roombreakfast was deliciousmodern conveniencescomplimentary glass of wineb bsrestaurant suggestionswonderful hostsbed and breakfasta lovely staymin walkwe loved our staylovely room
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My buddy and I try to take an overnight trip to Madison about once each year to catch up and enjoy the town. Typically we stay at a chain hotel downtown. No more! This time, we decided to stay at the Livingston Inn and it will be the place I go every time I'm in Madison now! First, the location of the property is ideal. It is just steps from the shore of Lake Mendota and I had a stunning view of the water and the adjacent park from my room. It is also a short walk (10 mins) to the Capitol, all the great restaurants on the Square and State Street; we made the trek three times in 24 hours and it was very pleasant, both by day and night! Now, the Inn itself is really magnificent! It is a stately building, perched on a large, slightly elevated lot with big old trees shading the entrance. It exudes old-time sophistication and luxury. The owners have restored the property unbelievably well, retaining the "old" while adding all sorts of modern comforts. The rooms are large and very comfortable with superb beds and bedding and Aveda products in the bathroom. Those attributes alone would be enough to bring me back to Livingston Inn, but Peggy's hospitality and great breakfast really made the experience special. She is one of the warmest, most engaging innkeepers I've ever met! And she makes a mean frittata! Staying there was like returning home to stay with dear, old friends! If you're going to be in Madison, there is really no reason to stay anywhere else! This place is really special and I'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Lake Mendota Room was really special.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and another couple came to the Livingston Inn to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday! What a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion! The Inn is lovely, the food was spectacular and Peggy and Dave were so kind and accommodating...they made us feel more like family than guests! They even were gracious enough to allow another couple come and surprise my husband and we had a mini cocktail party before our dinner in their beautiful parlor! Thanks to them, we managed to eat at one of the best restaurants downtown Madison has to offer and take in all the lovely sights downtown and on the lakefront! It is such an easy walk to get to all the Capital city has to offer! We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I highly recommend the Livingston Inn. It was all I'd hoped for and more. I usually have trouble sleeping away from home, but the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and I slept like a rock. The inn is quiet, perfectly clean, and at the same time homey and inviting. Peggy and Dave are very accommodating, helpful, and friendly. Breakfasts are delicious - homemade granola, yogurt, fresh berries, homemade coffee cake, a souffle(!), omelets. Each night, I was welcomed back with wine and homemade cookies. Peggy has a beautiful garden out back. Watching the sunset over the lake from their pier is a perfect way to relax after a long day. Using public transportation to get from the airport to the Inn is incredibly easy and a fraction of the cost of a taxi. Likewise, transportation via bus from Capitol square to Epic in Verona is a breeze and allows you to start your day with a refreshing 10-15 minute walk along the lake and up to the capitol. You arrive at Epic just in time for the 8:30 training start. The ride back at the end of the day leaves a little later than the typical 4:30 end time allowing you to catch up on email or tour the campus. There is no fitness room at the Inn, but it is in a great location for walking or running and there is plenty of space in the rooms or at the park next door for stretching or yoga. I can't express how much better this place is than any hotel in the Madison area in terms of service, location, food, comfort and cleanliness.

Room Tip: I stayed in the William T Leitch room at the front of the house. I had absolutely no noise issues despite it being a room closest to the street. The wireless connection was good but periodically dropped late at night (after 11:30pm). I had no trouble with it in the mornings.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Livingston Inn served up all we expected and then some. Peggy and Dave were welcoming and provided good recommendations specific to our interests. Our room was comfortable and clean, especially the bedding, so much so that we almost didn't feel like leaving the room at all. Once we made it outside, we quickly gained an appreciation for the Inn's convenient location. It is just a short walk to the capitol where we found many dining options, a fantastic Farmers' Market (Saturdays), and a great selection of tasty local craft beers and cocktails to enjoy well into the night. We had an all around good time at the Livingston Inn, and we look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LakeCda_Tom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

As a student at UW Madison in the 1970s, I day-dreamed about this striking historic Victorian home that I passed on my way to classes. Thirty some years later; I got my wish, and was not disappointed! I stayed just one night, but was indeed amazed by the beautiful period furnishings, and creative decorative touches throughout the house. I noticed origami paper cranes scattered around my room that made me feel at home. I was also impressed by the friendly and helpful hosts and the service, rendered with great attention to the finer touches of hospitality. I was offered cookies at check-in and an evening glass of wine. The home-made breakfast was delicious: coffee cake, a tastey spinach egg dish, fresh fruit, and perfectly brewed coffee, all served on fine china. Oh, and did I mention the luscious sheets, pillows and comfortable bed?The house is conveniently located minutes from campus and the state Capitol, near a park, and is just a few steps away from Lake Mendota. I felt truly pampered in high Victorian style, and would stay there again in a Madison minute!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo