All reviewslake mendotaother guestsprivate pierswedish pancakesgothic revivalhideaway roombreakfast was deliciousmodern conveniencescomplimentary glass of wineb bsrestaurant suggestionswonderful hostsbed and breakfasta lovely staymin walkwe loved our staylovely room
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I highly recommend the Livingston Inn. It was all I'd hoped for and more. I usually have trouble sleeping away from home, but the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and I slept like a rock. The inn is quiet, perfectly clean, and at the same time homey and inviting. Peggy and Dave are very accommodating, helpful, and friendly. Breakfasts are delicious - homemade granola, yogurt, fresh berries, homemade coffee cake, a souffle(!), omelets. Each night, I was welcomed back with wine and homemade cookies. Peggy has a beautiful garden out back. Watching the sunset over the lake from their pier is a perfect way to relax after a long day. Using public transportation to get from the airport to the Inn is incredibly easy and a fraction of the cost of a taxi. Likewise, transportation via bus from Capitol square to Epic in Verona is a breeze and allows you to start your day with a refreshing 10-15 minute walk along the lake and up to the capitol. You arrive at Epic just in time for the 8:30 training start. The ride back at the end of the day leaves a little later than the typical 4:30 end time allowing you to catch up on email or tour the campus. There is no fitness room at the Inn, but it is in a great location for walking or running and there is plenty of space in the rooms or at the park next door for stretching or yoga. I can't express how much better this place is than any hotel in the Madison area in terms of service, location, food, comfort and cleanliness.

Room Tip: I stayed in the William T Leitch room at the front of the house. I had absolutely no noise issues despite it being a room closest to the street. The wireless connection was good but periodically dropped late at night (after 11:30pm). I had no trouble with it in the mornings.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Livingston Inn served up all we expected and then some. Peggy and Dave were welcoming and provided good recommendations specific to our interests. Our room was comfortable and clean, especially the bedding, so much so that we almost didn't feel like leaving the room at all. Once we made it outside, we quickly gained an appreciation for the Inn's convenient location. It is just a short walk to the capitol where we found many dining options, a fantastic Farmers' Market (Saturdays), and a great selection of tasty local craft beers and cocktails to enjoy well into the night. We had an all around good time at the Livingston Inn, and we look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LakeCda_Tom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

As a student at UW Madison in the 1970s, I day-dreamed about this striking historic Victorian home that I passed on my way to classes. Thirty some years later; I got my wish, and was not disappointed! I stayed just one night, but was indeed amazed by the beautiful period furnishings, and creative decorative touches throughout the house. I noticed origami paper cranes scattered around my room that made me feel at home. I was also impressed by the friendly and helpful hosts and the service, rendered with great attention to the finer touches of hospitality. I was offered cookies at check-in and an evening glass of wine. The home-made breakfast was delicious: coffee cake, a tastey spinach egg dish, fresh fruit, and perfectly brewed coffee, all served on fine china. Oh, and did I mention the luscious sheets, pillows and comfortable bed?The house is conveniently located minutes from campus and the state Capitol, near a park, and is just a few steps away from Lake Mendota. I felt truly pampered in high Victorian style, and would stay there again in a Madison minute!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ann M
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Livingston Inn has everything you could ask for; Gothic Victorian splendor, comfortable rooms, breakfast is hearty and excellent; hosts are very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend it, BEST B & B I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Lake Mendota room has great views of the water and park.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We had a very relaxing weekend at the Livingston Inn. We stayed in the William Leitch room and it was very comfortable. Peggy and Dave went far beyond just providing us a place to stay and really helped us have a great weekend. Peggy made many phone calls to find us reservations for dinner both nights on a very busy graduation weekend. They gave us many great suggestions for places to visit while we were in Madison. We appreciated that they made breakfast early for parties that had to be out early and didn't mind us having breakfast late after sleeping in. An added bonus to our stay was the amazing shower.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple