“Good, but nothing impressive”

Brasserie V - Neighborhood Eatery & Tap Room
Ranked #35 of 980 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, French, Belgian, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Good, but nothing impressive”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I got the burger and friends, they were just OK and overall, I was a bit let down from reading the other reviews on here. The service was OK, but not great and the water they served was in tiny glasses and at room temperature, which I thought was odd. Decor isn't anything special either, it looks like they just threw some cheaper tables and booths together because they were on sale or something. Nothing here that would make me want to go back.

• Visited May 2013

Verona, Wisconsin
“Great atmosphere & service, they know gluten free”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful restaurant! We went before a show downtown. We got lucky, they had half price for a bottle of wine! We enjoyed a wonderful Malbec. The waiter was very knowledgable in gluten free. He knew right away what I could have that was gluten free. I had the duck entree. It was cooked perfect. The side salad was delicious, I would love it just for lunch on its own! My friend had the steak frites and she really enjoyed! There are plenty of frites to share. They are not gluten free (due to the frying oil) but if you have a bigger party they can be for 2-3 people. I would like to go back for lunch and try their sandwiches which when can do on gluten free bread.

Visited January 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“For Drinkers, not necessarily for Food Lovers”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We don't drink much alcohol, so the huge beer selection, multiple pages in the drink menu, were lost on us. But on a cold Wednesday night, the place was hopping, so if you like to drink, this might be your place.

We ordered the spinach and beet salad to start. It comes in 2 sizes and we split the small. This was plenty for the 2 of us to share and they put it on 2 plates for us, no charge. It had a sweet-ish dressing made with beer (of course) and nuts and goat cheese. Best part of the meal for both of us.

One of us had the swiss cheese/sliced apple sandwich with pesto on a crusty baquette. The combination worked fairly well, but I wasn't expecting it to be a cold sandwich. It might have done better warmed up. As a side, I chose the barley salad which came with artichokes and spinach, but ended up taking it home, because it was too much food to finish.

The other ordered the V burger, medium rare, but it came medium well, which made it much less enjoyable for her. She told the wait person, who said she would tell the kitchen. It's possible they would have re-made it for her, but we didn't ask, since it was busy and getting late and we didn't want to wait any longer. The burger had aioli, muenster cheese, tomato, spinach and onion strings on sourdough bread. If you want gluten free bread, it is available, but it costs $1.50 more. The pub chips that came with the burger were good - homemade on site.

Getting in and out of the restaurant is wheelchair accessible and the entrance to the bathrooms looked accessible, but we didn't check them out.

All in all, an average meal for about $26 plus tax and tip.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TravelinGal1029
DeForest, Wisconsin
“First time and will return”
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Went here based on the reviews from here. Will definitely return. My dinning partner had a sandwich and thought it was great. I had streak and thought it was one of the best streaks I have had in a long time. Went on a Tuesday and arrived early with no wait. Place was packed when we left.

Visited November 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Belgian Beer Selection and Solid Food”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I recently had lunch here. Good sandwiches and a great beer selection. Rather than reading about the many Belgian beer selections, I asked the server to recommend one (and then another). Excellent choices.

• Visited October 2013