“Great date place”

Eno Vino Wine Bar & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Eno Vino Wine Bar & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: European, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Old Sauk Road
Description: Eno Vino offers over 150 wines by the bottle and 40 by the glass as well as a full bar featuring their own Specialty Martinis and other Original Libations
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I love to sit at the bar here and have some great wine and apps. The décor is very cozy. Unfortunately, the last time that we were in, the drinks were not up to the level that we had come to expect when visiting here. This was not typical at all and we will be back for another try.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Eno Vino is a good restaurant, but has the potential for being a whole lot better. During our recent visit, we tried four of their more expensive dishes:

The blackened halibut came first. The fish was cooked well but the coconut rice that it came with was overcooked and mushy; it felt more like eating coconut flavored risotto. My date claims she has no recollection of it tasting like coconut.

The second dish was king salmon, basically a folded piece of salmon over vegetables. This time the fish was overcooked to the point that there was no moisture left at all.

The third dish was their signature scallops, essentially four scallops cooked in butter and truffle oil over white bread soaked in even more butter and truffle oil with slices of black figs. The scallops were cooked perfectly in my opinion although my date wanted a bit more sear. The only problem I have with this dish is that it is overwhelmingly heavy and buttery. Not really a shock given the ingredients, but if you are going to use bread then a rustic baguette would probably have been able to retain at least some crunchiness. In my opinion the same scallops over four sticks of white asparagus would make a much better and more balanced dish.

Our last dish was the Dijon and herb crusted lamb. As far as I could tell, only the middle slice of the lamb had any shade of pink left on it. Without a doubt overcooked. The dish also came with a lamb consommé, but there was nothing to pick it up with, leaving more than 90 percent of the consommé in the bowl after we were done eating.

Other than the dishes themselves, I have two more general comments. First, the tables at Eno Vino have grooves. These grooves apparently serve only to gather leftover crumbles of bread and other assortments of food. We did not see anyone with a handheld vacuum in their hand while clearing off tables and the grooves on our table had a lot of stuff in them that clearly did not come from our meal. That is simply unacceptable. If you like the style and want to keep the grooves, then clean them and put a glass top on the tables. If not, then invest in some table cloths.

Second, Eno Vino four spots above L’Etoile in the rankings on TripAdvisor? I have eaten at both restaurants and, in my opinion, there is no comparison. It may be that the postings here on TripAdvisor are a reflection of “value” and that L’Etoile suffers because of the prices, but I can guarantee that L’Etoile doesn’t have grooves in their tables with leftover crumbs in them. They also have a location that isn’t in a strip mall south of the Beltline Highway next to two other “European” themed restaurants. That being said, if you eat at one of Eno Vino’s outside tables, the grooves should not be an issue, and with a couple of improvements in terms of dish composition and amount of cooking, Eno Vino may come much closer to earning its ranking.

2  Thank MNChowhound
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Had heard others rave about this place & now I see why! You can view their wine list on an I-pad! I would say over half of the tables ordered by the bottle. They will re-cork the bottle so you can take it home if you don't finish it! Tapa style is nice as you can try several dishes if you want & share them. The waitress was very helpful and seemed excited that we were new customers! We had sauteed green beans, sea bass & scallops, and pork belly. The bean and pork I was able to order gluten free, so sauces, biscuit, etc, came on seperate plates, so my husband could enjoy them! They even checked about cooking the pork on the same grill as other gluten foods...& offered to cook it another way so as to not contaminate my food. That was wonderful!! I usually don't have dessert, but decided to try the fruit fondue as it is GF. I would forgo this in the future...One banana, 2 strawberries, about 4 blackberries & lots of mini marshmallows with a chocolate/cinnamon fondue for $15.00... I would rather have a small cup of fresh berries drizzled with the chocolate sauce with a light sprinkle of powdered sugar! The restaurant has ambiance with dim lights and nice decoration. It was very busy on Friday night! I can't wait to return! Thank you again for having gluten free items & being willing to adapt others to be gluten free! I would recommend reservations!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

WHat a great place! First time and it was delightful. My wife and I were looking for an interesting place, and this fit the bill. Great wine selections, including some fun and interesting wine flights (we each had a wine flight -- different reds). "Small plates" not so small. Really great cheese plate that included three really nice cheese as well as olives, bread and fruit, very artisitcally presented. In fact, the other small plates were each artistically presented: A flaming presentation of green beans with a kick, a stack of calamari, three of the largest scallops I've ever seen. Nice desserts (an orange-infused flan was really nice; a seasonal crisp was good but not to-die-for). Pricey, but only because we went full-bore. Including tip, $140. Emily was outstanding as a server.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Excellent dining experience. A tapas - style place so you have to be comfortable ordering 2-3 dishes and enjoy the sampling. The calamari and scallops were some of my favorites. Nice selection of wines. The atmosphere was intimate and quiet, people nicely dressed. Waiter was courteous, helpful and always there when you needed him. A great place for an anniversary or special event dinner. I will definitely go back when I am in town.