“enjoyed our meal”
Review of Bunky’s Cafe - CLOSED

Bunky’s Cafe
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Bunky's Was started in the early 1930's by Teresa's great Grandparents. Vito & Ninfa Capadona opened Bunky's on the corner of Park & Regent street in the Italian "Green Bush" area. After closing in the mid 1970's. Teresa and her husband Rachid opened in 2003. They included Rachid's Mediterranean - Moroccan cuisine to the menu! Bunky's cafe just celebrated its tenth Birthday this year! As the owners of Bunky's cafe, we feel very blessed to have a successful restaurant in Madison Wi. We will keep offering fresh, local and sustainable made from scratch menus! We have just started offering our Homemade Hummus, Baba Ghanouj, Grape leaves and Falalfel at area grocery stores. Please come and join us for dinner!
ohio
“enjoyed our meal”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

While traveling throughout WI, we stopped in Madison for two nights. Based in TA reviews, DH and I decided to eat at Bunky's. We had reservations at 7 (surprised they took them, glad we called - otherwise I know we'd have a long wait), seated within 5 min. Our server was nice, efficent, but seemed hurried all the time. We each enjoyed a cold beer; DH ordered lasagna which was very tasty and light; I ordered Bunky's pasta which had a delicous cream sauce with large chuncks of chicken; we were both pleased. We also each ordered an Italian side salad; the salad was tasty but a small portion served on a very small coffee cup sauce size plate. The bread was tasty. We ate on a Wed. evening and the restaurant was full the entire time we were there (7 to 8:30). The high point of the evening was a visit to the restroom when we left!!! Make sure you do that, you won't be disappointed. When in the area, would we return??? Although we had a positive experience, it wasn't a "must return" place for us, so I don't think so; too many other places to try.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank twototravel

wisconsin
“Good Mediterranean food”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Our family of 5 with sibs and spouses had a 7pm reservation on a Sat night but were not seated until almost 7:30 though they were apologetic.
The bread served was warm and tasty
Chicken shawarma and grilled shrimp were very good.
I had chicken with peas, peppers and tomato and was good, their rice was very good-like basmati with separate pieces. I shared with my husband who had the Mediterranean platter-I tasted the stuffed grape leaves and liked it-they had a nice lemon flavoring.
The door county cherry cheesecake was delicious And they offered as sample of baklava which I heard was very good
Nice atmosphere- pleasant and low key
Two things I did not like -the fork I was given with dessert was dirty and I love hummus but something tasted like burned spices (cumin?) which ruined it for me. Others didn't seem bothered

Toronto, Canada
“Bunky is funky!”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

After a long drive from Sioux falls, SD to Milwaukee, wi, we found this on trip advisor and it was definitely worth the stop.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank wang241
Dallas, Texas, USA
“A nice, homey place that delivers.”
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

I started out with the minestrone which was featured and the freshness was just awesome. This was not a typical minestrone and you could tell from the juiciness of the tomato and various vegetables that the farm was nearby.

I am a big fan of Falafel and was interested in seeing how they do it Madison style. The color was perfect as was the spice and crispness. While I know it can be served cool, I prefer mine fairly warm when it is for a main course but the consistency and that freshness was awesome. The hummus was smooth and creamy and came nicely with what was very nice pita.

The service was great. Excellent follow through and really attentive to what wanted. If I am in the mood for something light and Mediterranean I will definitely come back. The couple next to me had the spaghetti with meatballs and it looked amazing, so that may be my next sample. We will see.

I recommend Bunky's for a fresh taste of Madison with a nice local feel and flavor.

1 Thank Stavmar
“Nice”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Great atmosphere , service above our expectations from everyone. Food was excellent. Try it, it's top rate. Our top recommendation.