“Uniquely Madison”
Review of Bunky’s Cafe - CLOSED

Bunky’s Cafe
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Bunky's Was started in the early 1930's by Teresa's great Grandparents. Vito & Ninfa Capadona opened Bunky's on the corner of Park & Regent street in the Italian "Green Bush" area. After closing in the mid 1970's. Teresa and her husband Rachid opened in 2003. They included Rachid's Mediterranean - Moroccan cuisine to the menu! Bunky's cafe just celebrated its tenth Birthday this year! As the owners of Bunky's cafe, we feel very blessed to have a successful restaurant in Madison Wi. We will keep offering fresh, local and sustainable made from scratch menus! We have just started offering our Homemade Hummus, Baba Ghanouj, Grape leaves and Falalfel at area grocery stores. Please come and join us for dinner!
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Uniquely Madison”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Friends who like Italian and Middle Eastern food took me here, as the menu has both. It was originally an Italian restaurant and feels like an old and welcoming house, but someone in kitchen knows their way around a tandoor oven now if the braised lamb shank is any indication. It's a great mash-up, especially with a chatty waiter and some of the most excellent home-made tasting desserts I've had outside of my kitchen.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Good food, poor service”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Been going here for years, had always enjoyed the good and fresh med food and the very fine service, presided over by the gracious and friendly co-owner Theresa. But haven't seen here last couple of times, and my last experience there was quite bad, due to the surly and customer unfriendly manager (didn't catch his name, I don't think he even introduced himself). Problem: my dining companion ordered steamed mussels, which came cold (they'd obviously been standing around for a while, an unforgivable sin). When he complained, the waitress promised a fresh and hot portion, but instead disappeared forever, and the manger showed up. Instead of apologizing he claimed they were hot (how would he know?) and that my friend was just trying to get an extra portion for free. As if we couldn't pay for one! Since the friend is an honest person to a fault, he was understandably offended by this slur. And instead of the promised mussels, we got a consolation prize of two tiny refrigerated tiramisu doodads. What a pity that success seems to have spoiled a good restaurant, and they are no longer concerned about customer satisfaction and word of mouth. In addition, they have filled the dining room to capacity, and it is quite noisy--the food remains good, but more highly priced than comparable fare at other Madison restaurants. Theresa, please come back!

• Visited August 2012
Cranston, Rhode Island
“Great find, close to Botanical Garden”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were visiting the botanical Garden, just a mile down the road and needed a lunch spot close by so that we could return. This place was a great find. i wish that it were in my neighbor hood at home. We had a very nice lunch and would return if we could. It was a mix of Italian and Middle Eastern, as the owners are od mixed heritage. The place is quaint and warm with an interest decor. The owners have been in this location for three years. My Husband thought the bathroom was decorated for Julia Child on a Road trip. You will have to take it out.

• Visited September 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“I would give my right eye to eat here more often.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Well, not my right eye. Maybe my left. Middle Eastern food meets Italian doesn't even describe the great service and wonderful food. Do not forget the dessert! It isn't cheap, but the value is beyond what you get. Plus, they have gluten-free selections, even pizza crusts. I love the interior design and gift shop selections.

Visited July 2012
Chicago
“Delicious gluten and gluten free....”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Wow, we loved this place! My wife had her first gluten free lasagna and was blown away. We ordered half orders of both gluten and gluten free fettuccine Alfredo for my daughter to taste and compare.....she chose the GF in the blind test! Gluten man that I am I gluten up on my own pasta and tried the GF as well.....all was really great. Meatballs, soup and desert included! Best GF options we've ever seen and just great food overall. Ask about family pasta night.

• Visited August 2012