“Great Place to Stay for a Saturday College Football Game”

Best Western Premier Park Hotel
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a great place to stay when attending a college football game at University of Wisconsin. The rooms were very clean, 2nd floor King was close to walking down the stairs and not taking elevator. Restaurant was very good and casual. Valet parking was FREE except for tip. Front desk was awesome. You are 3 blocks from State Street action and if you are there on Saturday for football the farmers market is second to none for bakery items.Wireless works very well and free.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Jack, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about our hotel and your stay in Madison. There are few things in life finer than a trip to the Farmers Market and then cheering on the Badgers. So glad you got to experience it and I hope you stay with us again soon. The outdoor Farmers Market ends on Nov 10 but there is an indoor winter market just down the street from us that runs until spring.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Very nice hotel with excellent service from Paul at the front desk!

We were on a business trip and had to check out one day early. Paul helped us to book another hotel and solved it for us in minutes, rather than having to call our companys travel agent in Sweden. This saved us lots of time and hassle. The early check out led to some confusion when I got home since the reserved amount on my credit card was higher than the bill I recieved, but again Paul helped to fix it and was as always very friendly and courteous while helping out. Wish all hotels had a guy like Paul!

Room Tip: A colleague stayed in a room adjacent to another one with only a thin door separating them, so you c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us during your time in the US and for the kind words about our assistant general manager Paul. Paul exemplifies our commitment to customer service and hospitality and we (and our guests) are lucky to have him. On behalf of Paul and myself thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've stayed at more expensive properties on near the capitol in Madison, but Best Western is a much better deal for your money. Check-in was prompt and attentive--we were asked if we'd like a Capitol view or a lake view. The double-queen rooms were spacious, and the refrigerator was a nice addition. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for the feedback and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My mistake. I saved $18 a night by staying at this Best Western instead of staying at the Hilton, which is right next to the Monona Conference Center.
On the other hand, the Best Western has free internet and complimentary valet parking.
Uh...I carry my own broadband card, and I prefer to pocket my keys and go to the car anytime I want.
Checkin was flawless.
I was on a "group rate" so I should have expected what greeted me. My king size bed turned out to be a queen...but that's okay, because it filled the Lilliputian room. The bath was similarly diminutive. For an older property, it's been remodeled and refurbished. Relatively clean, too.
Housekeeping falls down on the job, however. I don't think they ran the vacuum at all during the 5 nights I was there. (Same white threads laying on the floor in the same place, all week.) After the first night, I got shorted a hand towel and a wash cloth. And I wasn't fond of hearing the maid's AM radio blaring the Spanish station at 8:30am.
During my stay, cold weather slammed us. So I bumped the thermostat..which failed. The next morning, I reported it to the front desk at 7:15 am. Back in the room at 6pm, no attention had been paid. So I complained to the front desk again. It got reset that evening. Failed again. And whose idea was it to place the thermostat on the wall right above the heat generating TV? No wonder it didn't think the room was cold...but I did.
Checkout was flawless...and the valet parking guys were excellent.
Thumbs up...but if I had to be at the conference center, I'd rethink this one.

Room Tip: Specifically request a room which is NOT near the elevator!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for the feedback about your stay. Many of our guests enjoy the walk to the Monona Terrace convention center (664 steps from door to door!) and appreciate the free valet parking and Wi-Fi but it sounds like we weren't quite the best fit for you and your needs. I do appreciate you giving us a shot and I will address the music issue with our team to ensure future guests are not inconvenienced. Please join us again if your travel plans call for it.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Inn on the Park has been in existence for years (once known as The Park Motor Inn). It has weathered the years quite well with the location right on the Square in Madison being ideal. The lobby and public areas are clean but dated. The guest room and bath that I was in was updated, very large and very comfortable. I tried their in-house restaurant for breakfast and had a very good meal at a very reasonable price. It was odd that the same person (Donna) seated me, was the server and was the cashier. She was absolutely gracious and kind but somewhat taken advantage of by needing to do all three jobs. The front desk crew was very friendly but the image could be improved by having ironed shirts and (at least during the business day) maybe a tie. Everyone looked a bit rumpled.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

I appreciate your review and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you noted, our hotel is one of Madison's historic jewels - having operated on this site since 1871! If you haven't done so, on your next visit take a look at the beautiful photos of the hotel throughout the years that we have on the top of the lobby staircase. Thank you recognizing Donna's hard work and for the feedback about the front desk staff's attire. I will look into both situations and hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

A reasonable rate for a prime location right across the street from the Wisconsin State Capitol in Madison. After getting the room on an online reservation service, I called the hotel to request a room with a view of the Capitol and they offered one with two beds, which I declined, preferring one bed for more room for the two of us. Big mistake! When I tried again up until the day of check-in, hoping for cancellations, they were completely booked. In addition, the room with one bed was very small and a bit cramped. When we checked out, I asked if all the rooms were as small and she remarked that the rooms with two beds were larger. However, I really have no complaints. The free parking was so convenient. Downtown Madison can be difficult to maneuver, even with a GPS. One day the route was blocked due to a marathon, but special signs directed us to the hotel. The Dane County Farmers' Market on the Capitol grounds on Saturday morning was wonderful. Walking distance to great restaurants (try Graze) and Jerome's in the hotel was very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback about your stay and for posting the great photo of the Farmers Market. As you learned, our rooms do vary in size. We always do our best to meet guests requests within the room category booked. Glad you enjoyed our in-house restaurant and that you visited Graze as well. Graze has a drink called the Magic Coffee, give it a try next time you're in town. Our marketing director director swears by it to get through a rough day.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had an excellent stay at this hotel. Staff (including front desk, bell desk, and housekeeping) all helpful, efficient, and friendly. My room was comfortable, quiet, clean, and well equipped--it was great to have a fridge. Huge TV, for those that like that. Wireless internet worked well. Free shuttle to and from the airport was a really nice convenience. All in all great value for the money, I thought. I'd recommend it to any friend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

It's always nice to hear that we're meeting our goals of warm, genuine service. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay - and thanks for the recommendation!