“Convenient hotel, awful internet”

Best Western PLUS InnTowner
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel was fine for what I needed. The room was clean, the bed nice, the bathroom acceptable. The "free" internet was VERY slow and frustrating to use - often webpages would not load. I am here on business and it was aggravating. The lighting in the room was very dim - a bit difficult to do serious work. The complimentary shuttle was convenient; however it is a bit odd that the "shuttle" is an unmarked SUV, so it is always a funny little dance to see if you're starting to get into some random person's vehicle or really the shuttle! Maybe a magnet on the side that says Best Western would be nice.
All in all - the hotel was convenient, the staff friendly, professional - BUT with the Internet frustrations I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Belmont2424, Media and Marketing Coordinator at Best Western PLUS InnTowner, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear GuestAW,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We greatly appreciate when a guest takes time to provide feedback of any time. Its only from input from guests like you that we can improve our product and services for you and all of our guests.

Please accept my apologies on the Internet. While this is a current issue, I am glad to announce that drastic and positive changes to both our rooms and our internet are scheduled for 2013. It is our hope that you will visit us after these changes and give us the chance to exceed your expectations.

Also please accept our apologies on the unmarked shuttle. The decals are on order all ready and are taking just a little bit get here. We are looking into some temporary markings, but I do apologize for any confusion and for making you do the "who's-car-is-it" dance.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review and feel free to contact me directly when you decide to stay in Madison again, and I will be more than glad to personally make sure your next stay is fantastic.

Thank you and make it a great day!

608.233.8778 x537

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I give you the facts:

-The toilet was broken
-The tub drainage was so poor that while showering I had to stand in ankle deep water or greater
-Brown rusty water came out of the sink
-There was a dirty wash cloth hanging over the shower rod upon my arrival
-The room smelled musty and funky, a smell only to be outdone by the archaic, enormous heating unit on the wall
-Many stains on the carpet
-I repeat, the toilet was broken

I rest my case.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear FancyBirthday,
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not up to your, or our, standards.
As you unfortunately experienced, we recently went through plumbing maintenance on our property, which caused some of the issues you experienced. It is unfortunate that you experienced it, as it is our responsibility to make improvements on our hotel while affecting our guests as little as possible. On behalf of all of us here at The InnTowner, please accept my apologies on your negative experience.

Also, our property will be undergoing major renovations in the near future, in hopes of delivering the best home-away-from-home experience possible.

Although it does not make up for the problems you experienced, I am able to tell you that these issues have been resolved. I hope that we can win you back in the future, and, if you should be willing to give us another chance, would like to offer you a discounted rate. If you decide to give us another chance, please contact me directly and I can take care of all the details of your reservation.

Thank you again for your time and we hope to see you again.

Media and Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This property was selected for me by the meeting that I attended. It is close to U of W hospital and med school. The lobby was very spacious offering several separate seating areas - nice for meeting people. Check in was efficient. The room was very basic, dated but clean. The mattress was very firm, bedding was a filled comforter with double sheeting. Lighting was on the dim side. Work area on desk was especially small and limited. The room had a Keurig coffee maker. The bathroom was really dated - old wall paper, low vanity and toilet. The toiletries were pantene products - but very miniature size. The room faced the street which made sleeping with the window open noisy. The heater/air unit was old school. There was an indoor pool that looked clean.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with the window open ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Belmont2424, Media and Marketing Coordinator at Best Western PLUS InnTowner, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear KlenC,

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate when any of our guests take the time to provide feedback on how we are doing and how we may improve our services.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay, however we do apologize for any of our guest room features or amenities not exceeding your expectations.

We hope that you will choose to stay with us again. Over the next year, several upgrades and renovations are planned and we hope they will exceed your expectations.

Again, thank you for your input and we look forward to your next stay.

BEST WESTERN PLUS InnTowner and the Highland CLub
608.233.8778

Reviewed November 22, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank MICHAEL K

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I needed a close place to stay while visiting UW Hospital and Clinics. Stayed one night to just sleep and return to the clinic. They offer a hospital rate and my stay was discounted about $20.00 upon check in which was a nice surprise. Lobby was clean, food area looked nice. Hotel room was average, nothing to fancy but not awful either. Perfect hotel to get away from stress of the hospital and to get some sleep. To my knowledge it is the closest hotel to the hospital, 2 blocks away, which is very convenient if thats the reason you're in Madison.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights to visit family and attend the UW Football game. This is a central location and it offered the 2 Queen beds that we needed. The hotel was packed but the room was still quiet. The beds were very comfortable and we slept fine. We weren't there much but it had a nice looking pool and fitness center. Both were on the small side but looked adequate. All the employees we encountered were very friendly. Our room came with a full restaurant breakfast which we took advantage of on 2 mornings. There were a variety of breads and cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage,,potatoes, coffee, juice etc. There was a shuttle for the football game and local spots but we didn't need it. It looked to be running at a good pace to accomodate guests going to the game. Our only complaint was a bad internet connection. With a teenager, that was a negative.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Belmont2424, Media and Marketing Coordinator at Best Western PLUS InnTowner, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear DeltaFlyer,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate when any of our guests take the time to give us feedback on any of our services and our property .

Let me apologize profusely for the internet not exceeding your expectations. We know that when traveling that this amenity is of the utmost importance for all of our guests, regardless of their reason for visiting. I know first hand what internet deprivation does to a person, and I wish to offer my most sincere apologies for the issue. Rest assured that this problem is being looked into very decisively and should be rectified in the near future.

We are glad that you enjoyed your overall experience, and hope that when you next visit Madison, you'll allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Thank you very much for your review and we look forward to your return.

608.233.8778 x537

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The staff were extremely accommodating during my stay, but the internet access was putrid. Trying to get any work done in this hotel became absolutely useless because I couldn't send or receive the information I needed quickly enough. Instead, webpages loaded very slowly and many times caused my task to become impossible, Again, good staff, but the company must invest more in wireless technology throughout the hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business