“Average at best, I won't return”
Review of That BBQ Joint

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
That BBQ Joint
Ranked #197 of 1,014 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This place is average at best. It attempts to be the "hole in the wall place with great BBQ", but it just falls short. The place itself is run down and the selection of drinks is fairly limited. My girlfriend and I both got different dishes and neither of us liked what we got very much. The sauce was the best part. It was just OK and it's not a place I'd return to, once was enough.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

The smells drew me in. You would literally drive by if you didn't smell it - there's not much signage. The smokiness, the deliciousness - I was already addicted. I went twice in two days. I know, a little excessive but it's that good to me.

The first time I went I got a rib (yes I ordered one rib), rib tips and a pulled pork sandwich. No sides this time. I waited a little bit - around 10 minutes. They gave me some water while I waited and there was one person in front of me. You have to option to eat in but I got my order to go.
When they gave me my order I saw that they had given me three ribs (rather than the 1 I ordered), and a generous portion of rib tips. The pulled pork sandwich was VERY big. They don't sauce their ribs and they don't need to. The flavor is what got me. The RIBS and TIPS tasted as good as it smelled! You could see the smoke ring on the ribs and the both were meaty and juicy. I liked the fact that they weren't lathered in sauce, if that's your thing, you have that option. The pulled pork was good. But I'm not a huge pulled pork fan enough to rave about it. My son loved it. Either way it went we were both happy and doing a dance while eating it!

My second visit I got the same thing with a side of sweet potato fries and sweet potatoe pie. The sweet potatoe fries are different from ones that I've had-in a good way. They were cut big and maybe battered lightly and fried to where they were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I loved them! The sweet potatoe pie was good but not as good as my mom's but hey, she's a good cook!

I crave this bbq everytime I'm on the Eastside, but I have to stop myself because I'd be broke and chubby. I think that their prices, customer service and food are excellent. And the fact that it's locally owned and a family business makes me love it even more! I've lived in Madison my whole life and I can say that this is the good backyard tasting bbq that I've been looking for!