“Different experience, tasty food, worth the price”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #156 of 1,041 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Celebrate that special occasion or just come in for the fun of the "Fondue Experience". Romantic booths for two to tables for corporate events. We specialize in birthdays and anniversaries. Our celebration packages will "Wow" your date.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We love to frequent Melting Pots and have been to several. We always have great food and a great time. If you are new to fondue, they will teach you along the way. Don't be afraid to try different combinations--the apples in cheese are delicious. The chicken, salmon and steak are excellent too. It's a unique experience in a warm, inviting atmosphere for that special date night or stop by when you're done shopping with friends for a quick cheese and/or chocolate selection. I wish we lived closer to one but this keeps it a special experience for us each time we go.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Ladies night is an excellent value. $17 for Cheese, salad and dessert fondue or you can add a meat course for $7. It does take awhile to get through dinner but its definitely a fun meal. Great for birthdays!
The Spinach and Artichoke fondue is amazing!!

1  Thank Olsoncjj22
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Summary: I won’t be back because the food was not all that good and the price was way too high for the food quality. But the service was excellent and I recommend trying it once but realize regular prices are $50-$80 per person.

A friend came in from out of town for New Years and suggested a fondue restaurant for our New Year’s celebration. So I made a reservation at the Melting Pot; the only opening was at 5pm. I had never tried a fondue restaurant but my friend raved about them, she’s been to a few, so I agreed to try it. I think the website does a great job letting you know what to expect so I won’t rehash it here. First, the service was top notch with one minor quibble at the end. They called 24 hrs before to confirm the reservation, we were greeted warmly when we arrived, we were seated promptly, our server was attentive but not overbearing and very courteous even though later in the evening she admitted she was new to the restaurant. One of the owners even stopped by twice; once to check on the meal and a second time to offer a little New Year’s chocolate truffle treat. One downfall on the service, when we asked the server the split the bill for our food, she just split it in half though my friend had an extra glass of wine. But otherwise the restaurant gets an A+/5 stars on service. But that was the highlight of the night.

First the booth they sat us in for two people only had one entrance/exit so it was a hassle when the other person needed to get out. And it was cramped for 2 people. Luckily they offered to take our coats so we had room to sit because there was no room for them in the booth with us and there were no hooks to hang them near/outside the booth. Unfortunately the lighting was so lacking, I could not read the menus and had to lean over the hot pad to get enough light. I’m fine with dim, “romantic” lighting but when I cannot even read the menus from where I am seated, that’s not good. And when the food arrived, there was not enough room for everything without bumping into each other. We both dropped utensils on the floor because of the overcrowding.

The food was ok but most definitely not worth the price. They had a special New Year’s Eve menu with $40 selections and $50 selections; we both opted to splurge on the $50 items. The appetizer of shrimp cocktail had way too much horseradish in the cocktail sauce. It was so strong it made me gag & choke. After 2 tries, I just ate the shrimp plain; they were ok but nothing to rave about. We then opted for a cheese fondue with chipotle pepper sauce. We went light on the pepper sauce opting for only 1 scoop and that was plenty hot for us. But I found the sauce just spicy from the pepper sauce; the cheese itself was bland, especially for WI. I’ve had much better at house parties, including my own. The bread & apples to dip in it were also very blah. The mixed veggies were crisp and the best out of the 3 but that’s not saying much. The main course for me was lobster tail, filet mignon & mahi-mahi. After cooking them, I did not find any of them very tasty. It took a lot of the dipping sauces to make up for the lack of flavor. And I did not like some of the dipping sauces either. Luckily our server was accommodating and brought extra sauce for the ones we did like. Then came dessert and we opted for the dark chocolate fondue. This was the best part of the meal but I’ve found it’s pretty much impossible to screw up dessert when you can dip it in melted dark chocolate with nuts. The fruit was excellent and my favorite. Other choices were marshmallows, which were ok, pound cake and cheesecake; though the last 2 you needed to pour the sauce over them else they break apart when dipped in the fondue; luckily our server warned us.

I also ordered a glass of Zinfandel (red, not white) and it was satisfactory at $9. The website and the employee who took the reservation made it clear an 18% gratuity would be added to the bill automatically. So the entire bill for me came to $68. I left the restaurant fuller than I like because you do get a lot of food, but not really satisfied with the meal and most definitely did not think it worth $68. I don’t eat out very much in Madison (my home town) so when I do go out I want it to be something where I say to myself, “Wow, that was a great meal and most certainly not something I could replicate at home!” but unfortunately the Melting Pot did not deliver on that expectation.

1  Thank ttiottn1
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were in Madison for a family Christmas party and a shopping weekend and decided to have lunch at this restaurant as a sort of Christmas treat. It was just the two of us and our son. We opted for a cheese fondue and dessert and the food was excellent and a lot of fun! Our son enjoyed playing with his food and our server was fantastic. She did a great job explaining everything and was very gracious in bringing our son his own plate of small dipping Rice Krispies bars after he polished off the first go round. Our price total was around $35 before tip for a great and filling lunch and drinks for three. Would definitely do this again as something different.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

A very relaxing and filling meal!
The spinach artichoke cheese is delicious!
The bartenders are knowledgeable and very friendly