“Just so, so...”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went before the Homecoming Parade, ate early and got a table right away. In the front part of the restaurant so quite chilly as patrons kept coming in. Ate with my coat on. Fish Fry was more french fries than fish, but was $9.95. Still not worth it though as I've had much better fish fries in Madison. Cute atmosphere.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a favorite place among my group of friends. The Old Fashioned house burger is so DELICIOUS with a fried egg on top. Also the brandy vinaigrette dressing is so good. It's really busy for dinner and on the weekends so plan on waiting at least 20-30 minutes for a table. And it seems like every time I go here I'm seated by the entrrance so it's super cold and noisy. But overall great place to eat!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Be prepared to wait but worth it.
Liked: really good old fashioneds, mac & cheese with wurst, cheese spreads, friendly and prompt service (did not have to wait too long for a drink even with crowds)
Disliked: two hour wait with no bar space and tight crowd, somewhat cramped eating quarters if by you are by the bar areas

Reviewed November 3, 2012

It's the first place once I get back to Madison. I get some Spotted Cow and the best deep fried cheese curds around. The two things I miss most about Wisconsin. Very very busy on weekends and even on weekdays. Go for lunch or be prepared to wait.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had breakfast, lunch and brunch at this place and had great food each time. The service wasn't quite as good, since each time our server seemed distracted by other parties, forgot our table or was just plain overloaded. Breakfast during the week was great-one of us had light fluffy pancakes, the other had huevos rancheros (made with egg whites at my request), with Green Bay style chili, which I found out is chili served over pasta. I asked for straight chili-no pasta. It was great. When we tried to order breakfast Sat. morning we found out there's no breakfast Sat. or Sun., it's always brunch, even if it's 8 A.M. So we had a very nice cheese plate (it's Wisconsin after all) with fruit, and a modified eggs benedict dish-hold the sauce. Lunch on another day was a great salad, grilled (not greasy) chicken sandwich and a mountain of crispy salt and peppered french fries. Way too good. They also have a great selection of local beers. This place is always crowded and for good reason.

Been to The Old Fashioned? Share your experiences!