“Losing its shine”

Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was my second stay at this location. I was disappointed to see that it is already showing some wear. It was packed, and had long waits for the elevator and at the restaurant. In the evening, I was essentially ignored and in the morning they were short-staffed. There was water on the floor near the noisy room heater and the previously attractive sink looked worn. There are other alternatives nearby and I will certainly be looking elsewhere next time - given the price.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FrequentlyinItaly
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Offering a product that meets the expectations of our customers is important to us. We realize that there other options available when traveling to the area however, we want to be your first choice. I have reviewed with the staff the importance of exceptional service. I assure you we will work hard to improve upon those areas we have fallen short. We take all guest comments seriously and hope that you will give us another chance to earn your respect and trust the next time you visit Madison.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is the third or fourth time we have stayed at this hotel. It is convenient to everything east of Madison for sure, and not far from attractions just an hour to the north. We have discovered during the course of these visits over the last few years that the hotel is frequently at capacity, and often with families with young children, which can be rough on the hotel property in general. This visit was a routine stay for us, and since we are Priority Rewards members, it affords us the keyed entry into the 5th (top) floor. This helps provide a quieter nights sleep normally, but not this night. The room they gave us had a exterior wall mounted heating unit that rumbled and growled all night, almost like it was alive. On top of this, when I checked in, she walked just out of view and retrieved one plastic bottle of water for me and my wife to share...rather cheap. Also, the room had no facial tissue, so we had to improvise. Lastly, we made arrangements for family to meet us for breakfast in the hotel, only to be seated at a booth where the table was wobbly and the booth seats were torn and patched with red duct tape. We promptly changed to a local restaurant nearby. The attention to detail is sorely missing here, and we are fearful of staying again on our next trip, thinking that the decline of this hotel is snowballing. If you are looking for first class accommodations, you might look elsewhere, because this place is quickly turning into a budget hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank eyebrowse2

Our goal is to provide each of our guests with a memorable experience and a level of service that will make them want to return. Unfortunately on your recent visit, we fell short. I will use your review in discussions and re-training of my staff. Working together we will make improvements in our overall service and take the action necessary to improve on our property deficiencies. We pride ourselves on our customer service and the product we provide and we will make every effort to ensure that your next visit exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

The room and hotel was very clean and updated. The problem we had was the noise from being on an entire floor with a kid's sport team. Then, we went down to the hot tub during adult only swim time to find kids still swimming. We were very disappointed to spend a weekend away surrounded by kids and being woke up by kids playing outside our door. Not sure if we will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Heidi P
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

I apologize for the problems you experienced during your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center. On that particular weekend we did have a large youth group staying with us and unfortunately we experienced a great deal of noise. We have reviewed with our staff the problems encountered and have retrained them on how to properly control these problem situations. The problems you encountered are uncharacteristic of our facility. We hope that we have the pleasure of hosting you again in the future and I assure you, you will experience the pleasant relaxing environment we are known for.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stay here 3-4 times each year and always feel at home. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with an excellent staff to support you. The buffet breakfast is alway good and drinks in the bar offer a chance to unwind after a day at the office. The business center, exercise room and pool complete the overall package...

This property is definately a good example of what a Holiday Inn property should be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for the positive review! It's great to hear comments like this from such loyal guests as yourself. We look forward to delivering another exceptional experience the next time you travel to Madison. Thank you again!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I spent just one night here before flying out of Madison the next morning. The staff was very accomodating and let us check in to our room prior to check in time. I'm a Priority member as as always they had my paperwork all ready to go (which I love!). The room was quite spacious and honored my request to be on the highest floor (to avoid stomping feet of other guests). The furnishings were modern and up to date as I have come to expect with the IHG chain in the past few years. The Sunday breakfast buffet was quite nice as was the business center and pool area. All and all a nice stay in this Madison hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IrishTravelingGirl
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

I appreciate your positive comments regarding so many different aspects of our hotel! Priority Club (the rewards program for all IHG hotels worldwide) is a wonderful benefit of staying at our hotel. Priority Club Rewards members earn 10 points per dollar spent here! And for those of you already raking in the points, you only need 20,000 points for your award night at our hotel! We offer a buffet breakfast as well as a full menu in our restaurant every morning, and you can join us in the bar and grill for dinner every night. Our business center and fitness center are available to guests 24 hours, and the pool and hot tub are open from 6am to 10pm for kids, with an extra hour until 11pm just for adults. Thank you for your loyalty and for choosing Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn at the American Center last week. Would definately stay again, Front Desk Service was Awesome, Had a couple older Guys at desk that were great and helpful and answered my questions, dont remember their names. The Young lady, can't remember her name either, cute girl, serving, the breakfast was outstanding and friendly as well. Would definately stay again, the people were real and not phony. I like that. The few people i encounterd checking out seemed happy as well. Will definately stay again when in town again for business.

• Stayed: January 2013
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

I’m glad so many of my team members made your stay positive and memorable! We have a number of different personalities that collaborate to accomplish the same goal of delivering an exceptional experience. I appreciate the time you took to let us know, and we all look forward to serving you again in Madison.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'm trying to continue to be a loyal Holiday Inn Prioirty Club customer, but they are giving me reasons to try another chain. It's the little things. I hate being greeted by a grumpy front desk. This hotel was out of conditioner (for your hair)...not a big deal if I know about it ahead of time, but I didn't bring any because I was expecting them to have it for me. I asked about more conditioner, front desk said they would check with housekeeping but they never called me back.

On a good note, the fitness center is more than adequate. It contains 2 quality treadmills and a nice Hammer Strength squat rack and barbell set. Great for Crossfit/P90X exercises.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jamie P
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and continued loyalty as a Priority Club Rewards member. I sincerely apologize we did not deliver the outstanding service we strive to achieve. I will be addressing your comments with my staff to make sure we correct the weaknesses in the service we extended.

I’m pleased to hear you enjoy our professional, athlete-designed fitness center. Just like you mentioned, it features two treadmills, two ellipticals, two bicycles, free weights, a full set of dumbbells, and a few other knick-knacks to complete your workout experience away from home.

We look forward to seeing you soon!