“Nice Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sardine

Sardine
Ranked #8 of 980 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Richmond, Virginia
“Nice Bistro”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

When I travelled, I like to sample different cuisine in a city. We typically sample French, Italian, Asian, among others. There are a few French choices in Madison, but the Grand Dame of it, le Etoile, seems to be too expensive, so we choose Sardine.
We really enjoyed our meal. We had the Oyster from World appetizer, which was delicious, with the one from Prince Edward Island my favorite. For entree, three of us on the table ordered different trout fish--sole, trout, and fluke. All were delicate and tasty. The sorbet dessert (three flavors) we had is creamy, and nice ending to the meal.
I would hope the restaurant would provide some tips on parking. Not a problem for locals, but for visitors, we did not know there are free parking right in front of hotel facing the lake. We had to park multiple blocks away on the Williamson Street. The hotel address is on Williamson Street, but no signs say we had to walk around building to the lake side. The GPS dumped us on Willie Street, and all doors were closed, to our astonishment.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank SandyWang

Madison Wisconsin
“Very comfortable place for casual gathering; good food”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Their brunch menu is not huge but it is good. The best is sitting on their deck with a view of Lake Monona. Nicely prepared brunch items and good "brunch drinks." Moderately attentive service, good food, and reasonable prices.

Troy, Michigan
“Good Food, Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My son and I both found the atmosphere interesting and the food very good. We had a late dinner so we each ordered only an entree. He had the fluke which he loved and I had the salmon which was very good. We did not have appetizers or dessert. The service was good but we didn't go in until 9 pm so it wasn't very crowded. My one objection was that I found the music too loud. Voices seemed to echo, so adding loud music is unnecessary and made dinner conversation more difficult.

Cedeira, Spain
“Rainy night, warm inside”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We found Sardine through TripAdvisor and liked the description. We arrived on a stormy night looking for a wonderful meal. We ordered the muscles appitizer portion and a salad. For a main course, we asked for a steak which sounded fantastic. Warning, the muscles portion is huge for an appitizer and incredibly well seasoned with fennel and cream. Half way through the first course, we had to beg off the steak. No problem, it had not been put on the grill. We recommend Sardine.

Madison, WI
“My Second and Last Time”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I dined at Sardine last year and did not have a good experience. This week we had out of town guests and they read that the Sardine was highly rated so I thought we should give it another try. Bad decision.
The restaurant is rather pretentious but does not live up to its hype. The service was good but the food was inconsistent. My Caesar Salad contained a dressing that was lumpy and yellow - very disgusting in appearance and looked like it had been eaten before. My Salmon was excellent but there was very little of it. Most of the dish consisted of mushrooms and capers. The Salmon could not have been more than 3 ounces.
Our guests each had the Sole. The plate was very unadorned and contained a small, brown , dry, thin filet. They said the flavor was good but complained that the serving was very small. The only adequate size meal was the pasta dish my wife ordered.
Downtown Madison is blessed with many fine dining establishments. Sardine is not one of them.

1 Thank Paul R