“Rainy night, warm inside”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sardine

Sardine
Ranked #8 of 980 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cedeira, Spain
“Rainy night, warm inside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We found Sardine through TripAdvisor and liked the description. We arrived on a stormy night looking for a wonderful meal. We ordered the muscles appitizer portion and a salad. For a main course, we asked for a steak which sounded fantastic. Warning, the muscles portion is huge for an appitizer and incredibly well seasoned with fennel and cream. Half way through the first course, we had to beg off the steak. No problem, it had not been put on the grill. We recommend Sardine.

Madison, WI
“My Second and Last Time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I dined at Sardine last year and did not have a good experience. This week we had out of town guests and they read that the Sardine was highly rated so I thought we should give it another try. Bad decision.
The restaurant is rather pretentious but does not live up to its hype. The service was good but the food was inconsistent. My Caesar Salad contained a dressing that was lumpy and yellow - very disgusting in appearance and looked like it had been eaten before. My Salmon was excellent but there was very little of it. Most of the dish consisted of mushrooms and capers. The Salmon could not have been more than 3 ounces.
Our guests each had the Sole. The plate was very unadorned and contained a small, brown , dry, thin filet. They said the flavor was good but complained that the serving was very small. The only adequate size meal was the pasta dish my wife ordered.
Downtown Madison is blessed with many fine dining establishments. Sardine is not one of them.

1 Thank Paul R
Madison, Wisconsin
“Ridiculous service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

How can a top-rated restaurant take more than 60 min to get appetizers to us, and another 30 min to serve dinner? Poor wine recommendation, and a too loud main room more than compensated for the beautiful view to make for a very bad eating experience. The food being just average topped an unhappy evening. We skipped dessert and managed finally to exit. We'll never go back.

2 Thank madcg
“Beautiful view, food was inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We were at Sardine last weekend . It is a beautiful space overlooking the lake but very load so it was hard to have a conversation. We ordered oysters that were not ice cold and some just didn't taste right. I would not order again at 2.5 a piece. The entrees were good . I had mussels and frites. Tasty but very small and somewhat dry mussels. My husband said the duck was mediocre but someone had the chicken and said it was the best they had. My glasses fell out of my purse and I called Monday and they said they'd call to get my address to mail back. Never heard another word. Not a great example of customer service.

Baltimore
“Overhyped, decent food though”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I heard a lot of good things about Sardine, but I don't believe it lived up to my expectations.

My favorite part of my dining experience here was the appetizer we ordered. The sardines were pretty good. For the entree, a friend of mine recommended the roasted half chicken, but it ended up being just okay. This might be harsh, but I would've enjoyed a rotisserie chicken just as much. My fiancee ordered the steamed mussels, which came with frites and dipping sauce. However, I ended up enjoying the frites a lot more than the mussels.

I liked the atmosphere here and the service was good, but the food was decent as best.

Visited September 2012