“Will definitely be coming back”

Road Star Inn - Madison
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Madison
sll439
“Will definitely be coming back”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Had a great experience here. The staff was polite and acomodating, the room was clean and well kept- found the free internet very useful. I had no disturbances or complaints. Great rates as well. Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank sll439

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I needed a night's rest when passing through Madison and saw this conveniently situated motel across the beltline from a large shopping mall and from Odana Road with its many and varied restaurants, so thought I'd give it a try, expecting nothing special.

Front desk staff was friendly and professional, and the lobby and hallways leading to my room were a cut above the average modern chain roadside motel. I later learned that the owner, Steve Welch, has just a few motels and has done much of the work in modernizing and upgrading them with his own traveling crew.

My room was larger than average and well appointed. I need work space and electrical accessibility, and these were fine. A nice new television was easy on the eyes, and internet access was more than adequate.

My room had a microwave and refrigerator. I didn't have to use them, but I especially like a fridge in a motel room. The continental breakfast was fine on my way out in the morning.

Everything was clean. I'd stop again if staying in Madison.

• Liked — convenience in every respect
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank jsolson
CHITOWN
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Great...

Clean...FREE Wifi & Breakfast bar.

Can't beat it dollar for dollar...Most definately will return!!!

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank BEARSSS
Madison
Reviewed November 13, 2008

I have stayed in Madison 4 or 5 nights a week for 5 years. The last 2 years have been at the Road Star Inn. It is the best value for the price. Madison is an expensive city to stay in, but Road Star gives an extremely good rate to extended stay. This hotel is quiet. The majority of the customers during the week seem to be people here in Madison to work. The showers work well with plenty of hot water. I am nearly always in the same room each week for these 2 years – it is comfortable with a recliner, the bed is a good firmness, good large TV, microwave and dorm size fridge. The high speed wireless internet is especially good. Great location on the West side and next to the belt line for easy access anywhere. A one block walk to Woodmans supermarket and a few restaurants are very close. The staff is friendly and helpful. There are bagels, rolls, etc with juices and coffee for breakfast.

• Liked — the price and quiet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank freespirit35
Rockton, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I got stuck with this hotel when booking on hotwire. I have always had good experiences with hotwire, so I had NO idea that a place like this would be listed on there!

My husband & I traveled to Madison for the Madison Children's Museum / American Girl Doll Benefit Sale & wanted a good rate on an area hotel. We found a $32 room that was advertised as 2 stars. Hotwire described their 2 star rooms as similar to Days Inn, Comfort Inn, La Quinta, or other respected brands.

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels in my life. One stars to five stars, so I have a general idea of what to expect from a star rating. I'm not the type of person to go into a 1or 2 star room & expect to get 5 star quality. I do expect however to receive a CLEAN & comfortable room.

When we checked in, the entry room & check in desk was pretty dirty, so I had a bad feeling...my worries from when the google search of this hotel turned many poor reviews were now justified. The hallway was just as dirty with filth piled on the floor.

Our room was the nastiest room I have EVER seen. The maroon carpet was sticky & left our white socks black after just a few steps. There was grime & DRIED BLOOD on the walls! The bathroom was awful. Mold, mildew, soap scum, dirt, grime, and hair was all over the shower, tub, floors, and walls. The wall paper was coming off the walls. A ceiling fan was chained to the ceiling. The lights, TV, and other electic items were plugged into an extention cord under the banged up table. The worst however was when I pulled back the sheets to inspect the bed & found DEAD BUGS between the sheets! We called to get a replacement room, but none were available. All we got was a replacement sheet set.

I didn't even bother with the free breakfast. I couldn't eat in a place that was so filthy. All we were planning on doing was sleeping in the rooms anyway, but I really couldn't do that because the beds sagged to the dirty floor! I'm not heavy in the slightest & neither is my husband, so this shouldn't have happened!

I could stand a hotel that was in need of an update if it were clean. However, this hotel was dirty from floor to ceiling. It clearly needs to be gutted & redone. It's in desperate need of refurbishing also, but a good scrub can do wonders...but that carpet is beyond repair!

To top off the already lovely stay, I received the take home gift of a BUG BITE on my right arm the last night of our stay. My arm is now swollen & I will probably require antibiotics to clear it.

Save yourself the headache and stay clear of this dive. If you see a room on hotwire in Madison for under $50 & listed as a 2 star...stay away...just in case! This hotel should be reported!

• Liked — Nothing...and I am not from the competition. This hotel is truly gross!
  • Disliked — Everything...I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kylebrianna522
Road_Star_Madison, General Manager at Road Star Inn - Madison, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Despite this complaint being from 2008 and myself only managing this location since late 2010, I still feel the need to apologize for the state of the hotel during that time.

When I took over as general manager I was shocked by how low the previous manager's cleanliness standards were and immediately spent the next year (and even today) working on correcting any and all issues people have had with the hotel.

While we are still not perfect, we have worked hard to get the hotel into a shape that I would feel more than comfortable having my own parents stay here when they visit.

Travelers are raving about these Madison hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 6, 2005

My travel plans ended up going horribly wrong and by the time I finally reached the hotel I was so relieved by the staff and the room. I read a poor review from someone else on here and am convinced they must work for the competition. I made my reservation at their roadstarinns website if that helps. It IS a budget hotel so I wasn't expecting the Hilton. But for the little I paid I was surprised to find it so nice and with more amenities than any other "budget" I've been to before. Thanks again to John and Dan..you guys were so funny and helpful. Look forward to seeing you all again next year!

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 4, 2005

This place is terrible. Poor Customer Service, VERY SLOW..... LOUD AND NOISY!
The rooms smell and the place is plain disgusting... Ugh I want my money back NOW!

Stayed December 2005