“Better than expected!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Madison Downtown
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed June 26, 2014

This appears to be a recently constructed hotel. Having stayed in several Hampton Inns, this was better in several areas. Location is close to the east side of UW Campus - it can be a 15 minute walk to the west side. The rooms are clean and reasonably spacious. There was no view from the window, but that's irrelevant to me. No safe in the room was disappointing. I'm sure there's little to worry about, but as a frequent travel it's something I expect. Internet access was someone annoying in the room. Internet is free, but they try to upgrade you. As Hampton Inn breakfast goes, this was slightly better - lots of room to sit and watch ESPN. The connecting restaurant/bar (Brunchclub) was a real plus. Creative menu and reasonably priced. The front desk was friendly, knowledgeable and prompt. The taxi service recommended by the hotel desk was horribly late. If you read reviews of the local taxi services, there's clearly a better alternative. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
madcityhampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Madison Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Thank you for sharing these findings, Hugo. Taxis- yes, frustrating to have the wait. My apologies for that. We're hopeful of better solutions in coming months. Good feedback on the internet. The tiered system is new to us but we've found it to be pretty seamless so far.
We're thankful for your having chosen us and we hope to have the chance to serve you again.

Happy 4th!

Michael, GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Location is good. Staff seems to put an effort forward to assist in anyway. Clean, New, Modern. Lounge area has room to relax even when busy. Parking is easy in and easy out and easy to get at. Would recommend and would go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for this happy review! We've got a great team working hard every day to make things go well so they will enjoy reading your feedback. Thank you for taking time to complete the review and know that we'll look forward to a future chance to welcome you back to Madison.

Happy 4th!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I was in town for a conference at the University of Wisconsin and the number one reason why I selected this hotel was it's convenient location to the campus student union, where the conference was held. You are just a short 8-10 minute walk to the gorgeous student union terrace overlooking Lake Mendota. The hotel is also located near State street and all the great restaurants, bars and boutiques. I was very impressed by this modern, upscale hotel. As expected in Hampton Suites, the room was very spacious with a separate living room area and kitchenette. Bed was comfortable, but the pillows were a bit flat. Most of the staff are college students and I found the service to be prompt and friendly. I always enjoy the free breakfast at Hampton Inn's. I think my one major gripe about the hotel is that it is quite pricey for the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to share this good feedback. My favorite part: the note about the friendly team here at the hotel! The pricing/rate is noted. Please know that we carefully monitor the going rate in the market and are traditionally at, or below, average rates for downtown. Our goal is to deliver great value and service regardless of price. It sounds like your stay was a good one so I'm hopeful we can call it a success? Thank you for staying with us!

Warm regards and happy 4th,

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Some friends and I stayed here for a weekend trip to Madison. We were kindly greeted and welcomed immediately despite our late arrival. The hotel is new and therefore in great condition. Our large room had two queen beds and a sofa sleeper. There was a large closet, fridge and bar sink, plus a large fresh and extra chairs. It was very comfy even with five adults. I didn't use the pool or fitness facilities but did walk by to check them out for future reference, and they looked like what one would expect for a hotel of this class.
The hotel required keys for the doors at night and for the elevators up to the guest floors, so security felt good.
The continental breakfast was huge and delicious. I only ate on Sunday morning because I got up early to eat everything in sight at the farmer's market on Saturday, but I wouldn't have been disappointed to have had to eat there twice. Plenty of healthy (and not so healthy) options.
The location is great and parking affordable. We walked everywhere so didn't have to bother with getting in and out of the hotel with the car, but it wouldn't be a problem. The hotel is just a few blocks off the square and State Street, making eating, drinking, and finding something to do a breeze.
I normally stay with friends in Madison but next time I need a hotel, I'll certainly choose the Hampton.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

What a great report, thank you!
You're right, we're 10 months old and are working hard to maintain the brand new, high quality gift of a hotel we enjoy working in each day. And, yes, we're just a 10 minute stroll to the (Nations' Best!) Farmers Market where we, too, find that we can barely carry all the wonderful stuff each week. Thank you for staying with us and know we're looking forward to welcoming you back to Madison soon!

happy 4th!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We opted for the Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown for our stay in Madison...a great choice of hotels. Close to the capital buildings, university and downtown area (which was active the night we were in the city...an enjoyable time). Very nice hotel entrance foyer...great, informative reception staff. Large, well decorated rooms...very clean...ideal mattress, pillows, linen and towels. Overnight parking at the hotel is $12.00...very reasonable for a downtown hotel location. Great food and reasonable prices at a restaurant located within the hotel...one of their specialties is fresh donuts, which they offer before and after your meal!

An all-round great stay in Madison...we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Yay! Thank you for the happy review, TrainChaser! Great to hear that our location was an asset and that you had a wonderful visit. We look forward to your return to Madison, hopefully sooner than later.

Have a great weekend,

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We were in Madison Wisconsin for a wedding. We stayed at the Hampton/Madison. The room was beautiful, the hotel staff was great. Even the continental breakfast was great. Our only issue was that our room was not cleaned for 2 out of our 3 night stay. I would hope that this was an oversight and not the norm for a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for this good feedback! My goodness, I was pleased until I came upon the passage that we didn't service your room? Please contact me (michael.luehrs@hilton.com) so we can better understand what happened.
In the meantime, know that we're happy that you were in town for a wedding (fun!) and that you returned home safely.

I'll look forward to your communication.
Happy 4th,

Reviewed June 24, 2014

The Hampton Inn & Suites have outdone themselves with this hotel. It was simply amazing from the decor to the room and staff. I will definitely come back but this time it will be for pleasure not business. The beds were soft and comfortable, the breakfast options were more than just your typical coffee and juice. I left a very satisfied customer, not to mention well-rested!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Great report, Nancy, thank you!

We're grateful for your kind words and we'll be working hard to make your return stay just as nice.
Have a wonderful day and a happy 4th!