“Very Good Experience”

Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Gurnee, IL, United States
“Very Good Experience”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Hotel was convenient to UW campus which was the main reason for our stay. The hotel itself was convenient to campus and some of the nearby restaurants and businesses. If you are visiting as a prospective student, keep your car parked in the hotel lot as parking near the visitor center is very limited. You might as well walk the 12-15 minutes to the South Union and leave your car where it is at the hotel

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonInn-Downtown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Madison Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Daniel W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We agree, our location in the downtown area is marevelous! Being close to campus is an added bonus as well. Thank you again for the great review. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Michael and the team at the Hampton Inn & Suites Madison Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
Rochester, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This hotel was beautiful, everything you could imagine in a flagship hotel for a company! Raymond management has truly outdone themselves here! From the moment we pulled in to the parking lot the check out time, everyone was amazing, and Bistro!!! WOW is all I have to say!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Logan Z,

Thank you for the wonderful compliments about our property. I am glad you were comfortable in the hotel and enjoyed your stay in the Madison area. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We can't wait to have you back!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Really the best Hampton Inn I've stayed in. I had a make to quick stop-over in Madison, Wisconsin last week and having stayed in my share of Hampton Inns over the years my expectations were not particularly high. Most of them are pretty clean, adequate facilities in which to spend the night before moving on to your destination. But this one really was run like a hotel. The service was excellent, the room was beautiful and well designed. The security was very good and the amenities were first rate. I loved the location near the Capitol and State Street and it was within walking distance of the campus. There is also an excellent restaurant inside of the hotel. The food was really good, home-made and fresh. The hotel staff was well trained, attentive and friendly. The morning before I checked out while I was eating the complimentary breakfast - standard fare but always appreciated - the hotel manager approached me and inquired about my stay, took my plate away and made sure that I was comfortable. I should have gotten his name for he was very professional and deserves recognitiion. I'm not trying to compare this to some of the four or five star hotels I've stayed in because you have different expectations. However, for a Hampton Inn it far exceeded my expectations and I would have been happy to stay there on a vacation with family had that been my purpose in traveling to Madison. My only criticisms would be the fact that it is a little tricky figuring out the parking situation. However, once you do you quickly realize that the parking is actually quite simple. The street the hotel is on is just very crowded and difficult to maneuver. The coffee could be better as well but if you just need some caffeine before hitting the road it's fine. There are about five good coffee shops within walking distance of the hotel if you're looking for something better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jerry B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we do very much appreciate it. We love our location too, right in the heart of the city. I am glad you were able to enjoy the Bassett Street Brunch Club while staying with us, they have a wonderful menu. I am glad to hear our property went above and beyond your expectations. Our goal is to make every guest feel our Hamptonality! Thank you again for the kind words. We can't wait to have you back!

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Great new hotel in the heart of UW-Madison and Capital area. We stayed during a competition for our daughter. The Kohl Center and State Street are just a few blocks away - very convenient for shopping, dining, sightseeing, etc. We could see Lake Monona from our room. Rooms were perfect, the lobby is fun to hang out in, and the service was the best we've seen anywhere. The kids enjoyed the pool area and breakfast too!

Room Tip: 7th floor or above views the lakes.
Dear Todd480,

Thank you for sharing your experiences while staying with us! We agree, our location can't be beat. Being so close to many restaurants and shops is definitely a bonus, giving our guests lots of choices. I am glad you enjoyed the view from your room, Madison is a beautiful city. Thank you again for the kind words. We look forward to having you back soon!

Chicago
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This hotel is new and is firing on all cylinders. Like most city hotels you do need to pay for parking but for the $12 the parking is built into the hotel and well worth it. Walking distance to great restaurants and on the edge of the UW Madison campus.

Dear EO-Traveler,

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you appreciated the parking, it really is an asset in this downtown area. We love our location too, being right in the heart of the city cannot be beat! Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We hope to see you again soon!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed in a queen junior suite and couldn't have been more pleased. This is a first rate establishment that is close to the UW campus and the capital area. One warning: The tub get a little slippery when you shower.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HamptonInn-Downtown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Madison Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Evonne O,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. We agree, our location can't be beat! We love being in the heart of the city, never a dull moment! I am pleased to hear you were comfortable in your room and enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had a slippery tub, I'd like to connect with you offline to learn your room number. Please give me a call at 608-255-0360.
Thank you again for the kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We were in town to checkout the University of Wisconsin with my daughter. This hotel was very convenient to the University.

The rooms were spotless and the service was extremely friendly and helpful.

In room microwave and fridge is a great advantage when traveling with the family...as was the Suites Shop downstairs that provided (although slightly pricey) some late night microwave dinner options for my daughter so that we didn't have to go back out. There is also a very complete grocery store just around the corner if you plan ahead.

A full buffet breakfast was included in the morning which was slightly above the standard provided by hotel chains.

Parking was very convenient (a garage with key entry using room card). If I had one complaint...I wasn't aware that there was a charge for parking when I made the reservation online and so was a little surprised at checkout for the $15 added charge.

All and all though great stay and would stay there again without a hesitation.

Room Tip: Our room did not have that much of a view (which honestly isn't something that bothered us). Th...
1 Thank Scott S
HamptonInn-Downtown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Madison Downtown, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Scott S,

Thank you for sharing your experiences wtih us. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your clean room and our great team. The microwaves and refrigerators in every room are a great asset, for sure. I do apologize that you were not told about our parking charge, I hope the covered structure added some value to your stay.
Thank you again for the kind words. We look forward to having you back again soon!