“A nice experience but over priced”
Review of Grampa's Pizzeria

Grampa's Pizzeria
Ranked #115 of 990 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Pizza
Vandalia, Ohio
“A nice experience but over priced”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was our first visit here. We came after a very casual day while visiting a festival at the area park. We felt under dressed. We ordered one salad ($8.50) which we felt was very over priced for the amount you received. We also ordered two pizzas. The pizzas are very thin crust and are 12' in size. The ingredients were unique and the average cost is $13.00 a pizza. You would need to order several if you expect to get full from eating this pizza. We finished with their cake and I would say this is their best item. It was delicious. The cost per piece is $6.00 but this item is the only item we found to be a large serving.

We had a nice experience but found it to be expensive for what you receive and would recommend other local establishments before suggesting coming here.

• Visited August 2013

Madison, Wisconsin
“Initial Impression...HIT!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This place looks, serves and tastes like a hit. Opened July 10th, my son and I went the following week and we both left with swollen bellies and smiles! Beautiful remodel of the formerly Grandpa's Gun Shop, including a couple vintage shotguns as decor (an homage)...I LOVE the guns to (peace?) of pizza metaphor. The service was fairly polished for a new open (must have hired & trained right). The setting was beautiful on a hot summer night. And the food...fantastic. The pork confit is a MUST! Bit larger chunks of pork shoulder with some chimichuri, served in a hot dish with sides of giardinara, whole grain mustard and toast...well executed and DELICIOUS. I may be back just for this item alone! The ZA? Very good. The quality ingredients are the big difference here and they pay off. Of course, I had to have a 'basic pie' (cheese pizza) to see if that cornerstone is worthy of adding toppings to. My son got the pepperoni (sans olives). We DESTROYED them! My only critique...the centers get a little soggy as they sit, but I did not hear this from others that were there the same night. We were in early, so I had to wonder if the decks in the ovens may not have really gotten to temp yet?

I'm anxious to go back and recommend this place to all comers, however, maybe not the most kid friendly place.

• Visited July 2013