“Disappointed”

CIRC
Ranked #123 of 995 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At CIRC we are dedicated to providing you first-class service in our contemporary and relaxing dining area. Our menu features dishes that exemplify the cuisine of Wisconsin with the flavors of America. Chef Charles Lazzareschi and his team pride themselves in using fresh, seasonal ingredients, which come together to create unique and flavorful pairings you are sure to love.
Carlsbad, CA
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was one of my favorite restaurants during our twice yearly visits to Madison, but definitely slipped on this trip. My favorite meal, day boat scallops, has been changed, and no longer has parsnip potatoes, shiitake mushrooms, or crispy bacon. Squid ink risotto just doesn't make it! We were there early and they were already out of the lettuce for the salad I ordered. The bread basket, which used to be loaded with a delicious variety of breads, had just onie and a cracker. The sauces are no longer offered, and the service was lackadaisical. The servers were visiting at the desk, even though there were very few diners. My water was never refilled. Such a shame! It seems like they've written off serving dinner.

On the other hand, I had lunch twice and it was great. I had the soup and salad bar both times, and it had six soups to choose from and a huge variety of salad ingredients. I'm sure everyone could find a soup and salad ingredients to their liking. I had the chicken tortilla soup both days, as it was so good I couldn't bring myself to try another.

Visited May 2013
StephanieLaBella, Guest Relations Manager at CIRC, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. While it was wonderful to hear that you have been enjoying our lunch service especially the salad bar, we are very sorry that your dinner service was disappointing. We want every guest to have a wonderful meal with exceptional service. We do change the menu seasonally to keep it fresh and incorporate local products. We take the feedback of our guests seriously and never want anyone to leave unhappy. If you would be willing to give us another opportunity to show you that we still are the “hidden gem” you always thought we were, please call me at 608-294-3004 or email me at slabella@concoursehotel.com.
Stephanie LaBella, Director of Guest Engagement

New Orleans
“Great, and not.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just in on a business trip. Pretty quiet night, pretty empty all over. Service if friendly and supportive, all that it could be. Cocktail, orange old fashioned, pretty much dreadful. Supposed to be an actual cocktail, really just a bourbon and 7 up with a cherry in it and a little funny taste. Not a cocktalian bar, so write that off. Sorry, I'm from New Orleans. Steak - perfect! Could not be better, especially at the price. Came (unexpected) with a huge quantity of fried (Portobello?) mushrooms, fantastic! But far too many, and not enough vegetables. Grew tired of the mushies, hungry for veggies. Ordered a side of smoky garlic mashed potatoes. Far too much smoke, couldn't eat them. In keeping with the brilliant service, the mashed potatoes were dropped. Here for a week, will have to talk to the bartender.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Rigel54
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very glad that you enjoyed your steak. We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy the balance of the accompaniments served with the steak. Our Executive Chef, Charles Lazzareschi, uses the feedback that we receive from our guests when designing the menus which change seasonally. We hope that you had a better experience in The Bar during the remainder of your stay with us. You should always be able to expect a finely made cocktail from any of our bartenders. If something does live up to your expectations, we want to do whatever we can to make things right. I’d be very happy to speak with you in greater detail about your experience at our hotel. You can reach me at 608-294-3004 or via email at slabella@concoursehotel.com.

Stephanie LaBella, Director of Guest Engagement
Plymouth, Wisconsin
“Really Good!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Had the scallops and the Chimichurri Skirt Steak, along with the baked goats cheese and rumaki. All of it was delicious.

Visited February 2013
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“Outstanding meal, both in taste and presentation”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Dayton Street Grill has been around for many years with different names, but this latest edition is the best by far. It is located at the lobby level of the Concourse Hotel which is one short block from the Capitol Building and a block from the Overture Center for the Performing Arts, so it is convenient for concert goers. I tried Pheasant Ragout; I didn't know what to expect never having had it before, and it was excellent; I loved it....and the both the serving and the price was right. I had absolutely no complaints and would order it again.......although, the menu is so large and interesting, that I may be "forced" to go with something else. My wife had the Beef Shortribs, which she had eaten previously. She thought that it was a little short of sauce and not quite as good as the time before, but nevertheless terrific....4 out of 5 stars. This is a terrific restaurant, and because the bar is located quite a bit away, it is quiet so you can have and intimate discussion with your companions. Service was great other than having to ask for bread . No doubt we will be back again....and again.....

• Visited February 2013
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“Outstanding menu, chef and service”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had both dinner and breakfast as I was staying at the Concourse; this is the in-house restaurant. I was eating light so I had soup and a squid appetiser. The squid was NOT fried which was a great change of pace and healthy. The soup was also outstanding. Prices were medium for Madison which was another benefit. I will go back for sure.(in fact, I was going back!)

Visited August 2012