“Squash Curry - best ever!”

Lao Laan-Xang Restaurant
Ranked #141 of 989 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Northern Wisconsin
“Squash Curry - best ever!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My daughter and I ate here for dinner. We ordered crab rangoon for an appetizer. This was hot and freshly made. Very good. My daughter had the squash curry with shrimp. I had the Larp with chicken. We ordered the dishes with number 2 on the hot scale. This was a little on the hot side, but we like it. The squash curry was delicious - creamy with a good curry flavor. The sticky rice was a nice novelty. The Larp was very good also. It had a definite lime flavor. My daughter had the sweet Thai tea and I had the sweet Thai coffee. Both were very good. We had so much food that we took home four boxes. The service was outstanding.

• Visited June 2013

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Worth a try”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Service was excellent in this restaurant and very accommodating. Waiter assisted with selection and description and was quite helpful. My particular dish of fried rice with shrimp and chicken was very overdone and chewy, but several in our party had delightful meals.

• Visited May 2013
Madison Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice place for Mother's Day”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

It's not crowded. Parking is easy. Of course, the food should come first. The eight of us had a variety of selections. Those with Wonton soup found it excellent. The spring rolls were delicious. The satay was tasty with the peanut sauce. The curries were great, hot nor not as requested.
The thai cold drinks were great.
We left well fed and some had doggy-bags to boot.

Visited May 2013
“Get there early!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've been to this location and the other Madison location (Williamson St.) about ten times in the last ten years. However, it had been 3 or 4 years since my last visit, so I felt like I was a new customer all over again.
Let me start by saying that I don't know a thing about Loatian food. Nothing.
We were a party of 4 and I was the only member of the group to of ever visited this restaurant before. We started with crab rangoon. Now, I have seenthis in many Chineese restaurants, but I do like it. I just have no idea as to the authenticity of the dish as it pertains to Loatian cooking. Anyhow we liked them. (large and tasty)
We each ordered something different on the menu. I went with something more on the native loatian side (larp). My GF had a noodle dish, another diner had a curry dish and the last person at the table had a chicken/vegetable dish that was nice and spicy. In short, we were all very pleased with our meals and experience.
We got there at 5:30 and there were only 2-3 other tables. By 6pm the place was packed and people were athe the bar and others were waiting tin the doorway to get a table.
The service was adequate.
Like I stated before, I have been to both locations. I like the Atwood location better. The Williamson location is neat, but small and cramped.

• Visited April 2013
Middleton, Wisconsin
“My favorite!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My favorite curry in all of Madison comes from this restaurant! The squash curry, with or without adding a protein option, is delicious, healthy and comfort food all at the same time. I like it "two stars" hot, enough umph to punctuate but not detract from the rich blend of flavors. The cucumber salad starter is tops too. I've tried to duplicate both recipes at home but always fall short of the great dishes at Lao Laan-Xang.

The Atwood address is one of two restaurants of the same name/owners. There is a smaller restaurant on the north side of Williamson St. about a block west of the co-op. It fills up fast, though, so go early or order take-out. I like the more intimate setting and less echoey acoustics at the Williamson St. venue.

• Visited March 2013