“There's also Lao Laan-Xang II nearby”

Lao Laan-Xang Restaurant
Ranked #152 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I went to Lao Laan-Xang (II) down the street. It was crowded (8 PM on Sat) but we were sat right away and the food was fresh and hot. Service was great - the wait staff all very friendly and efficient. Their basil fried rice with tofu was pretty good. A bit on the more expensive side, especially for Madison, WI but worth it.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was our first experience with lao food, and a very positive introduction! The food was very tasty, but not as spicy as we has hoped. With each dish, you choose a spice level. We choose the one just below the spiciest, called adventurous. While not bland, there was not much heat to it. All considered, a yummy meal, but if you like spice ask for "native lao" level.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Everything on the menu tastes authentic. I love the way they use spices. My favorite dish is the curry squash which I pair with sticky rice, always to the astonishment of the servers.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have been to both locations, but much prefer the Willy Street location. The restaurant is small, but the flavors are huge. Everything from start to finish is fresh, colorful, flavorful, and delicious. The staff really know the menu and are very quick to point out different items on the menu that they think you will like based on your taste preferences. All of the staff are top notch and really make you feel like you are part of the family. I especially love very hot, spicy food and LLX is not afraid to tailor make the food to your tastes. Our waitress even brought out an additional crushed red pepper condiment to add even more heat to our food. Perfect! The spring rolls are very fresh tasting. When it comes to entrees, the curries are the best. My personal favorite is the squash curry. I have traveled to SE Asia many times and have never had a curry as good as this. Try it, you will love it! Even though I don't live in Madison, I come through on a regular basis. When I do find myself in town, LLX is THE place that I always come back to each time.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

But watch the spice. Pretty much everything on the menu is good, and you can't go wrong with almost anything you order.