“Latest update on Marigold Kitchen” 4 of 5 bubbles

Marigold Kitchen
Ranked #18 of 975 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Madison, Wisconsin
“Latest update on Marigold Kitchen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

It's Saturday morning, 4/27/13, the fantastic, authentic Madison Farmer's Market is open for a new season, the Crazylegs Classic is being run today, it's actually sunny and getting warm, and we went back to MK at 7am. It's bustling with all the activity going on but we're fairly early and easily find a table. While placing our order (both great: bran and apricot pancakes w/real maple syrup and the 'Scrambler') I, as always, ask to have our plates heated in order to keep the great food hot. And to our happy surprise when our breakfast was brought out the plates were amazingly HOT!!! and the server had to use extra napkins in order to hold the plates. Yes, I am fixating on heated plates but all along I've said the food is excellent, the atmosphere cozy and warm but just wanted to make it even better with a little tweak. Now if they could only do this for everybody as SOP.

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“YUMMMM, YUMMM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I just went to Madison for a quick visit of family and was told that Marigold Kitchen was a pretty good place for weekend brunch and BONUS right by the Capitol!

The atmosphere was great! I felt very happy there. My sister got the special Crab Fritatta ($12.95), her boyfriend the french toast (9ish), and I the breakfast sandwich (9ish), sans meat. I had a bit of each; the Crab Fritatta was really great... possibly slightly too much dill, The french toast was YUM YUM YUM... lots of fruits! MY BREAKFAST SANDWICH... so savory! The egg is a little runny... how i like it but... not for everyone. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I loved it so much, we went back for Sunday early lunch. I got pancakes (what can I say, I can eat breakfast all day). It had a great sweetness and was not dry, which often happens whenever I get pancakes. I scarfed it down... More Please.

The service was phenomenal. The chef, Kristy, came out and talked to us! Talk about feeling special. Everyone was super friendly and were helpful, even took photos for us.
We saw a lot of the same staff the second time and they were super friendly again; it felt like we were regulars.

Definitely TRY IT!

For people who are from Madison... they have an online system where you can order and pick it up! Wish more places would do that!

Wisconsin
“Bad Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My friend and I along with our two toddlers stopped in for brunch today. When we arrived a young lady came and asked us if she could take our strollers to the back which I appreciated since it was so busy. Midway through the meal I hear my friend scream out in pain. I turn to see that one of the staff members had accidently spilled HOT tea down my frinds back and all over her bag and purse. I jumped up to help as the staff member then swung the tray around again dumping the rest of the cup all over my coat. As we are both frantically trying to clean up the mess, the staff member apologized and said he would be back with towels. When he returns he has one towel which he then starts to use it to mop up the floor. ??? Meanwhile the girl returns with our strollers, I look at her strange and she said she thought we were leaving. We hadn't even finished eating yet. I never did get a towel or extra napkins. At the very least they could have offered to refund some of our bill. We ended up both leaving the restuaruant in 30 degree weather with wet coats, and we had about a mile walk back to our cars. I will not be returning any time soon. Thank god it wasn't one of our toddlers that had the hot tea dumped on...

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Madison, Wisconsin
“Update on Marigold Kitchen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have been back to Marigold Kitchen on average twice a month. Still enjoy the restaurant, the food is very good, the staff is very friendly but I have not seen any improvement in the temperature of the food or in warming the plates first thing in the morning to keep the food hot. We ask every time when placing the order to please warm the plates and the cashier/order taker agrees but only once did they actually do it. I'll keep trying tho.

1 Thank WIFITCHES
New York City, New York
“Excellent Food and Good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were visiting from out of town and one of the hotel staff (see my review on Madison Concourse and Governors Hotel) suggested Marigold as a great place for breakfast. We decided on it and were very glad we did. Upon entering the Marigold, we weren't sure if we should seat ourselves or wait. It turned out that neither was correct. Basically, you go up to the cashier and order your complete breakfast. They have great pancakes, french toast and other specials which all looked delicious. As for coffee and tea, it's a bottomless cup and you simply help yourself. Once you place your order, you're given a number on a stand that you put on your table to let the servers know which order is yours. Then you simply wait for it to come. We liked that you simply could help yourself to coffee, tea and water since you never had to wait. In addition, the food was delicious and the staff very friendly and helpful. Would definitely eat hear again!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Marigold Kitchen? Share your experiences!