“Overrated - not sure how this place survives - Avoid”

Wah Kee Wonton Noodle Restaurant
Ranked #421 of 1,014 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Even at #84 out of 400, this place is way overrated and must be supported by students at Willy street people that "don't get out much". While I have had my eye on visiting this place over the last ten years since moving to Madison, last Friday was the first time I had the opportunity to after Bandung was not available.

The setting was sterile. The service was - at best - apologetic, and waited FOREVER for drinks and food, even to be acknowledged. Any of the fried appetizers are to be avoided - often a favorite for us. The fried calamari was small, bland, using only the cheapest leftover slices of the squid. All of them had a horridly bad aftertaste, typically what I find from reused oil. The noodle dish, which I waited anxiously for based on previous reviews, might have been good, but it was cold by the time it arrived so at best was mediocre.

Overall, not sure what the draw is here. The ownership clearly is stingy on the ingredients, staffing level, and decor. And the prices aren't bargain portrayed. Hate to say this but PF Chang's is better.

1  Thank kingofsp8s

Reviewed March 27, 2011

This place is great for students. The food is good and you can eat on a budget.

Reviewed May 17, 2009

By far my favorite chinese restuarant in Madison. They serve traditional noodle dishes and the shanghai chicken fried noodle is to die for!

1  Thank DawnMR
Reviewed February 14, 2009

Homemade noodle soups are YUMMY! And very reasonably priced. They actually make the noodles from scratch, and they give you a gigantic bowl with noodles and beef or pork and fresh veggies. The waiter is very helpful, speaks fluent Chinese (even tho I think he's an American), and he is good about explaining the different choices (not hard on the eyes, either).

A TripAdvisor Member
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I was a little disappointed by Wah Kee, but it's my own fault: there weren't a lot of good vegetarian noodle dishes on their menu that aren't broth-based, and I didn't want meat, so I settled for ginger-scallion lo mein. It was flavorful, but I should have opted for a dish with a more substantial noodle to really appreciate the homemade texture.

The server was extremely helpful, and even offered to "add noodles" to any vegetarian dish I wanted to order--so it's not like there weren't better choices for me to make.

My husband had Shanghai chicken fried noodles, with fat, chewy noodles and big chunks of chicken--he loved it!

Vegetarian pot-stickers were fried to a crisp, which was a little unexpected, but the flavor was good.

Our meal, including beer, was about $20--hard to beat that.