“Only eat the Gyros”

Parthenon Gyros Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 990 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night
Description: We were the first gyros restaurant in Wisconsin in 1972 and we've been making our gyros and sauce by hand since then. We believe simple, high quality ingredients make the best food and that's why our gyros (made only from ground lamb, beef and spices) and our tzatziki/gyro sauce (which starts as milk, then we make Greek yogurt, then add cucumber, garlic, lemon) are the best in the country.
“Only eat the Gyros”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Their Gyros are the only thing worth eating. The rest of their food seems to be an after-thought.

Great for after bar.

Go with a group.

• Visited March 2014

Huntington, West Virginia
“If you like gyros sandwiches, this is the place”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Parthenon was one of my favorite restaurants when I did postdoctoral work in Madison 35 years ago. This past month I had the opportunity to visit this restaurant again. It is even better than I remember. If you like gyros sandwiches or plates, you must try this place. On my last trip I visited three times during three days.

• Visited May 2014
Detroit, Michigan
“Just like I like it”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Can't beat a gyro sandwich from the Parthenon. Flavorful, made to order, and fast. The sandwich alone is a meal but add fries because they make them fresh. It's a greasy spoon kind of place but in a good way.

Visited May 2014
Phillips, Wisconsin
“It ain't what it used to be!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here with visions of having a Gyro as good as years past. That's not going to happen. The meat was way over salted and overdone. The tzatziki sauce was flavorless. Never going back.

1 Thank RoadyWI
Madison, Wisconsin
“Best gyros in town”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I don't make it downtown very often, but when I'm there, odds are good that I'll be stopping at the Parthenon. Easily the best gyros in town - and I couldn't believe how much my husband managed to pack away on our visit yesterday, it was that good.

The dining area has been updated over the last few years - not a huge change, but it's pleasant. I'm also a fan of the Greek music videos that play all day, though I realize that's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Only bummer is that I wish it were a tad cheaper; we managed to spend $25 on lunch for the two of us.

• Visited February 2014