“Nice decor, okay food”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wisconsin Ave
“Nice decor, okay food”
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I decided to take my husband to the Kennedy Manor Dinning Room for his birthday. I picked it based on it's history and the fact it was a "hidden gem". The decor was very 1940's and it definitely takes you back it time. When we walked in, the place was empty and the manager struggled to find our reservation forever. I just wanted to scream "Seriously?! The place is empty, just seat us!"
It was very nice of the waitress to start off by asking if we had plans to go anywhere and if we needed to be out of there at a certain time. She was nice enough, but my husband asked me if he had offended her because she was very cold to us.
That being said, as for food: we had bread (good), cesar salad (good), and I had a Manor Kir (good). My husband asked for a specific glass of wine and they brought him something else, which he didn't care for. He had the risotto which he liked and I had the chicken which was just awful - no flavor, rubbery, fatty, and tasted worse than a grocery store chicken. I ended up just taking it home for the cat - which is the most expensive meal she's ever had. By the end, I left with lots of bread, salad, and the side of mashed potatoes in my stomach. We didn't have dessert. Before tip: $67.00. I would go back for just drinks and the experience but not the food, but my husband said he would get the risotto again not the wine.

1 Thank Tristan E

Chicago, Illinois
“Decent food.”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The place was very quiet for a Friday night. We got salad for starter which was very nice. Mains were nice, portions were perhaps a little small. Complimentary bread was also a nice touch.

However the wine was definitely the best part of the meal. Cheap and very good.

I advise anyone to visit the bar for the wine... Maybe not for the food.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank TJ O
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“A quiet, elegant dinner”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you are really tired of restaurants that have no acoustics and you find yourself yelling over your fish-whatever, do think of this place as a lovely, quiet, white tablecloth restaurant with dependably good food and time to actually talk with your dinner mates. It is what neighborhood restaurants were and, in some cities, still are. Eat at the bar, sit at a lovely table, have as long an evening as you want, and do it as often as you want. For reasons beyond me, it is rarely crowded, call ahead to see if they are open since it is also a venue for weddings, etc. A great place to recruit someone to Madison - and the uproar at the Edgewater across the street will reliably be over by late Fall.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank John F
Madison, Wisconsin
“Classic”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Vintage roaring 20's vibe and meticulously prepared delicacies await! The chicken and the risotto and the manhattens and cosmos and the antipasto and the rush of unremembered memories of close to a century....If you're reading this, we missed out on the 20's and we'll never really know how cool it was to be Scott and Zelda, to be a flapper, to be out on the town in the heights of America's burgeoning flourishing, our cultural zenith, where men were men and women were first discovering their liberty. The Kennedy Manor is a time capsule you can swallow. And what a lovely swallow it is.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Tony B
Madison, Wisconsin
“No lemon for you!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I visited The Kennedy Manor for Valentine’s Day. We found the décor and atmosphere to be simple but elegant. There was a musician playing guitar which was a nice touch. We were greeted by an older gentleman who confirmed our reservation. While he was efficient I would not say that he was pleasant. He simply confirmed our reservation by stating, “Yes you are on the list.”

Our waitress also had a very serious demeanor. At times it seemed as if we were being served by our “strict grandmother”. When it came time to bring us bread she brought us four small slices and only brought more after that was finished. We both ordered fish and when I asked for more lemon to put on the fish, that was greeted by a disapproving look. She did bring me lemon but it took quite a long time and when it did arrive they were two very small pieces.

The food itself was average. For an appetizer I ordered soup which was very basic and my wife ordered risotto with spinach which was quite good but unspectacular. We both had Sea Bass for our entrée which was prepared nicely but unremarkable. For desert we both had a chocolate pudding dish with ice cream which was the best part of the meal.

Overall, our waitress’s demeanor made for a tense atmosphere and the food was unspectacular so I would not recommend this restaurant.

• Visited February 2013