“More Lao than Thai”

Cuisines: Thai
Harshaw, Wisconsin
“More Lao than Thai”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

OK food in an Ok atmosphere. Asian food in a family run place. Good for a decent meal at a decent price but nothing to get excited about.

Pinedale, Wyoming
“Worst Thai food on the planet!!!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I asked a local at a shop nearby where I could get good Thai food nearby; she gave me 2 options and I obviously chose the wrong one! From the outside looking in, it was difficult to see if the place was open or not ie. no cars in the parking lot, no big bright sign saying "open" etc. The hostess/server was unwelcoming and rude at best. I had black floaties in my Thai iced tea. The fresh spring rolls were made with old, discolored ice berg lettuce and an unrecognizable meat mixture. The only ingredient in my Pad Thai besides the noodles were chili flakes with a few shrimp buried at the bottom. The dish tasted like the greasy skillet it was cooked in and I'm positive there were teflon flakes abound. After noticing my unimpressed facial expressions, the hostess/server took my plate away to see if the chef could make it less hot. The only thing less about the 2nd dish, were the number of shrimp in it!!! It was equally as hot and unappetizing. She also told me to add white rice to the dish to lessen the heat - an odd recommendation I thought for a Pad Thai dish....about 5 minutes later she came back out with a 3rd order for me to take home, without even asking me! Luckily I had to turn it down as I planned to board a plane in 1.5 hrs. My nose was running uncontrollably, my eyes watering, and my guts wrenching - I got out of there with no intention of returning ever again. It took 3 bathroom visits, 2 giant bottles of water and 4 hours later for my insides to return to any kind of normalcy. Do yourself a favor and don't ever dine here!

• Visited June 2014
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Good vegetarian Mekhong Fried Rice”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We ordered vegetarian take-out from Vientiane this summer. If you call in an order, I would suggest you order by the item number on the menu and specify how hot you want things spiced. I found that the woman who took our order (although there was a significant language barrier) was diligent, patient and accommodating. The food was just fine and spiced to order.

• Visited July 2013
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Best Lao/Thai place in Madison--Hands down”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

After traveling in Thailand, this food is the most authentic in Madison. It's a mom and pop place..no frills, just good home cooked meals. The squash curry is the best in Madison by far and their bean thread noodle and Kee Mow are some of my other favorites. Tom Yum is also very good. This place is also one of the spiciest restaurants in town--making it very authentic. The 5 stars will make you sweat like dog, but my husband keeps coming back for more. When someone asks me my favorite restaurant in town, I always say Vientiane on Gorham St. I will always have a place in my heart and stomach for this restaurant!

• Visited July 2013
midwest
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We went there with a couple who said they were told this place was great. They should question their friends taste in food. My first impression was hole in the wall, then came the sticky tables and tables not being cleared when we were the only people in the restaurant. The waitress was not friendly. The food was so spicy and I ordered mild. The inside of my mouth was burning. I ended up just eating the plain white rice for dinner. They didn't get our order right for one of our friends and they had to prepare her another dish. No apologizes either. None of us at the table were amazed by their food and each of us ordered something different. I truly hope the owners look on tripadvisor to see what people are saying so they can make big changes because I don't see how they can stay in business with the level of cleanliness, service and food they are providing.

• Visited May 2013