“Love the Sushi box!”
Review of Sushi Box - CLOSED

Sushi Box
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place for sushi. Delicious. It's always been my favorite. I love the hard working owners: she takes your order, he prepares the sushi. There's a TV on which you can watch your sushi being made, so you know it's fresh! Love this hole in the wall near campus.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Very good sushi at reasonable prices. Look past the simple atmosphere and you won't regret it. We've tried lots of different things on their menu, and all have been good.

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I am not a huge sushi or seafood person but I enjoy the food here. It is a good price for the product and I have not gotten sick from it.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

It was 2 p.m. and we hadn't eaten yet that day. Leaving UW Madison we happened upon Sushi Box.

First, Madison is not exactly a haven for drivers (more specifically, parking is a pain in the zorch). There is a bit of parking on a side street and room for about 3-4 cars in a "lot" (actually a driveway) to the back of the building. When parking in back you must go down steps and walk along a corridor adjacent to the kitchen. You may also be boxed in when you leave (yup, we were).

Positive: the price was in line with, or maybe a little lower, than sushi places we are used to. Maybe because this is a no-frills (REALLY no frills - you are expected to dispose of your trash and stack your dishes on a counter) type of place. And there is a closed-circuit TV screen, so you can see the sushi being made. My miso soup was very good.

Negatives: the sushi was not good! It was rolled way too loosely and fell apart when being picked up. My companion got a shrimp tempura roll - the shrimp was cold and it had obviously been pre-made and refrigerated (the shrimp tempura, not the entire roll). The eel roll was tasteless. They were pretty stingy with the ginger and when we asked for more we got a disapproving look from the woman proprietor. They also, in lieu of bringing water, have a serve-yourself water cooler in the corner, with plastic glasses on top. Really??

There are many other places to eat in Madison. And we will dine at one of them next time.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have eaten sushi all over the world, and the Sushi Box is in my top five of all time favorites. It is run by a Japanese couple who consistently produce simple traditional sushi and Japanese fare. If you are looking for huge rolls slathered in some kind of new wave sauce, this is not the place for you. The food is simple and straightforward, with the rolls on the petite side, which my children have always loved because they are easy to eat. The only drawback is the parking- which consists of three spots behind the restaurant. Overcome this by parking on the street, and the trip is more than worth it.

1  Thank John G