“A Nice Change of Pace”

Eldorado Grill
Ranked #49 of 983 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Voted Best Brunch in Madison! With classic favorites like Chicken Fried Chicken and Baby Back Ribs, southwestern flavor is wrangled into every item on our menu. Feeling adventurous? Try one of our Platos Mexicanos such as Spinach Mushroom Enchiladas.
“A Nice Change of Pace”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've been here a few times in the past. It was my girlfriends first time. I wanted to take her someplace a little different for Valentines day.
First of all we were both very happy with the general vibe of the place. It's cool just to look around. Eventhing is well kept and clean. Our server was attentive and all that we wanted.
I ordered the chicken fried chicken and it was delicious. It came with mashed potatoes and black pepper gravy. My date had the brisket with the BBQ sause on the side. The server said that the sauce was not spicy, unless you are really sensitive to spice. It was a bit spicy and therefore WAY too spicy for my girlfriend. Soooo, if I had a complaint, I would say that there weren't a lot of options on the menu that were not spice free. Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of kick and I would reccomend this place, but with the one caviat that there is some spice in a lot of the options and that is a deal breaker for my lovely girlfriend. She was still happy with the experience (since we switched plates)
I will return, but not with my sweetheart.
I'd also like to add that the El Dorado is such a welcome change from some crappy chain. There really is no comparison.

• Visited February 2013

Wisconsin
“Best Margaritas”
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have eaten at the Eldorado Grill several times. It's been great each time. I love the margaritas....real margaritas....fresh lime juice.....no syrupy mix....good tequila. This visit we had the fish cakes and the vegetable/goat cheese empanadas for appetizers. Then we each had fish tacos for dinner. It was all very good. Very fresh.

Madison, WI
“My favorite Madison restaurant”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Pan Seared Tenderloin with Chipotle Bleu Butter keeps me coming back. The Collard Greens are a bonus and garlic mashed potatoes are great too.

Want to try the blackened catfish but can never resist the tenderloin. My wife has had the catfish and the blackened seasoning was a little strong for her, but she's a wimp.

House margarita's straight-up complete the perfect meal.

Get a reservation unless you like hanging out at the very nice bar.

• Visited November 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“Upscale Mexican/Southwestern”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Make reservations...we didn't on a Saturday night but because it was unseasonably warm, were offered seating on the 'heated' patio...which was a little cool, but unnoticeable after a margarita.

Chips and Salsa are al la carte on the appetizer menu, however, under $2 and well worth it, the guacamole was outstanding.

For $9-11 you can have a premium margarita, no fancy stemware and no sticky sweet mix. Not sure how it was made, didn't taste like mix (YUM), and 1 knocked my sox off. If you can run with the big boys they offer a wide selection of premium tequilas to choose from.

Dinner was pricey, yet very well done. I had the seafood enchilada, $19.99, lovely presentation, tasted great, but wasn't wild about the crisp tortillas (think taquito?)...either way nothing to complain about, it was delicious. The side of black beans and rice was unimpressive compared to the rest of the meal...everything else was so well done, yet these were bland...I'd have gladly traded them in for my local Mexican dive's refried beans.

My husband had the BBQ slow roated beef brisquet, which he loved and the cornbread pancake was a nice touch. Very tender, great taste, served with a homemade slaw, a southwestern potato salad and BBQ beans.

Dinner for 2, meals, 2 margaritas, 2 beers, chips, salsa and guacamole $81 with tip. Would I return? Yes, I'd make a different menu choice, but for sure the Margaritas and guacamole...

• Visited November 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Food!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had the Thai vegetable fajitas and they were so great! Especially great the next day out of the fridge (YUM)!! Good place with a bunch of people or just a few. Don't forget dessert too!

• Visited October 2012