“Poor Service”

Dining options: Reservations
Madison, Wisconsin
“Poor Service”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had a disappointing lunch today at Takara. This is a place we used to frequent 1-2 times a month for years. My husband and I both got the sashimi lunch and there were three problems:

1. Fish was on top of the lemon, perhaps to mask off-flavor. Sashimi should never be served on top of citrus.

2. The waitor/waitress didn't come back to ask how our meal was before bringing the check.

3. A waitress stacked our dirty dishes on our table in front of us and then left. Unacceptable.

Their State Street location used to win "Best of Madison" awards, but no more. Sad, especially given the competition from nearby Japanese restaurants. We won't be going back.

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Green Bay
“Delightful dishes and great prices.”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I took my nieces ( age 12 and 10) to the west side location. It was a Friday night, yet the wait was less than 10 minutes. The sushi menu looked very nice with a good selection, however, since I was with non sushi eaters, I decided on the Beef teriyaki Bento box, another got the Hibachi chicken and another Beef Negimaki Bento box. I must say it was the BEST Bento box I have ever had...and I have had my share. I got the sashimi instead of california rolls or Nigiri and it was succulent, with salmon, tuna, crab and surf clam. That selection alone was worth 1/2 of my Bento box. Then in addition you get the entree ( all were excellent), little dumplings , and a huge portion of shrimp tempura. The beef was good quality and very tender in both the Teriyaki and the Negimaki. I don't live in Madison, and there are so many excellent places to eat there, but I can't wait to go back to Takara and take my nieces for another dinner :)

• Visited March 2013
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
“I love this place.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We've had lunch and dinner at both locations and enjoyed every bite! Bento boxes are terrific; teriyaki beef and shrimp, and anything hibachi is fantastic. Plus Asahi "Super Dry" is on hand. Do you want to get away from those s students? Then go to the Whitney Way location. Good food and very nice people.

• Visited February 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Only one server for the whole resturant”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Food was excellent and the service was courteous. However, there was only one waiter for the lunch rush. It took a while to order, get more water, and get our check... he was running around doing everything - you could tell he was very busy... They need to hired another one.

Visited January 2013
“Reliable sushi”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Went here on a snowy night and enjoyed basics and adventure rolls. Takara never really kills it like exotic West Coast joints, but also never disappoints. Fish is fresh of served a wee bit cold, bar can make a solid mixed drink, and wait staff is experienced. All in all a solid experience for beginner or aficionado.

1 Thank Wisco42