“Good food but steer steaks are overpriced”
Review of Mariner's Inn

Mariner's Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Mariner's Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 990 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Westport Road
Peoria, Illinois
“Good food but steer steaks are overpriced”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We chose this restaurant for a birthday dinner. Our group was seven adults and two children. This restaurant is an old supper club - the decor is nice and cozy. We started with some of their fried cheese curds - the best I have had anywhere! The warm rolls were very good. Many of us had their "famous" clam chowder and everyone thought is was very good - I thought it was the best New England style I have eaten. My wife had the salmon florentine - it was good. One of my sons and I had the Steer Filet - these were supposed to be better than "regular" beef steaks. Mine was a little chewy and did not have much flavor. My son commented that his was ok but not seasoned or flavorful. These were priced higher than their other steaks but the quality and flavor did not warrant the price in our opinion. Three adults had the salmon special - salmon stuffed with lobster - they thought it was very good. My daughter asked if the kitchen could make a pasta dish for one of her daughters which they gladly did - this was nice. Overall I would recommend this restaurant and probably return but I would not recommend the Steer Filets.

• Visited February 2014

Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Found this family-owned restaurant on the north side of the lake and had a delightful meal. I had the grilled walleye along with a nice pinot grigio. My husband had the battered walleye with one of the local beers. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Our waiter provided outstanding service. Very reasonably priced. It's definitely a throw-back in time in terms of the decor, but you can feel the family's proud tradition. Would definitely return in warmer months to enjoy the lake view on the outside patio.

• Visited October 2013
“45th Anniversary”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Whether it is steak or seafood, the Mariner's in is one of the best (if not the best) places to satisfy your appetite in the Madison area - heck, it beats most other restaurants around the country that we've been to. The prices are moderate and the setting is beautiful, calming from the usual rush. The staff is friendly, courteous and try to satisfy all from the youngest child to the oldest couple. Really an outstanding family oriented restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food and lovely view!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First visit to Madison. This restaurant was listed in one of the travel magazines and we decided to try it. Lovely friendly staff - took our last minute reservation with no fuss. Food was wonderful! We had a table by the windows that looked out on the canal. Beautiful night and a wonderful meal! I would love to go back for a Lobster Boil - special nights with price fix menu and 5 courses....

• Visited July 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED JEM”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My family has frequented the Mariner's inn for many years and my parents have know the family for at least 75 yrs. I treated my entire family as a celebration for my parent's 65th wedding anniversary. We had a separate dining room off the main room, as out party was so large (can't recall no.) The service, the food, especially the appetizers (tiny cuts of tenderloin in pastry-puff w/bordelaise sauce) was incredible. I cannot say enough for the wait staff (2 women and bus person) as they dodged my grand sons crawling on the floor, kept their wonderful good humor, presented the dishes professionally--(still hot) and took time to joke with me and my son. One of the owners (son of the founders and can't recall name!) spent time with my very elderly mother and charmed her and made her day! Great job! Above and beyond the duty. Thank You!

• Visited July 2012

Been to Mariner's Inn? Share your experiences!