“Your average Mexican place...”

La Hacienda Restaurant
Ranked #336 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed March 8, 2013

...as a business traveler in the area, I wanted to try Mexican food and based on the recommendation of the front desk staff at the hotel I chose to try this restaurant. Got there between 6:30 and 6:45pm and being a busy day of the week it took a while for the waiter to come and attend to our party of 3.

Polite and friendly folks, however, I found the food to be quite lacking in terms of authentic Mexican flavor. The salsa had some zing to it, but that's about the only flavor that was even close to being Mexican. Our food arrived pretty quickly from the time we ordered.The Mexican rice accompanying the chimichanga I ordered was very average. I did like their chips and with the salsa it turned out to be a good appetizer. The entrees are reasonably priced and they do offer an extensive list of items. So this place I'd have to admit caters to both the business and family crowd. Being a vegetarian, I requested that they replace the beef/chicken in the chimichanga with beans, which they did.

One good thing about this place is they are open very late, I believe till 4:00am or so. They close only for a couple of hours and reopen at 6:00am for breakfast. However, I did not validate that. Would I go back to this place again? Only if I had no other option for a Mexican restaurant.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Not a lot of choices in Madison for Mexican food and given that most Mexican food restaurants in the state choose to "dumb-down" the authentic spices to adjust for the mid-west taste bud.... there may not be - except for those who choose to stay totally genuine to the cuisine.
Wife and I decided to stop in on a recent trip to Madison - and while e enjoyed our evening - it was not authentic in the flavor area. The food was well prepared - it just lacked authentic spices to the level that this California-born, Mexican food lover couple prefer.
Service was goos - we were well attended to and asked for a specific area in which to sit and were pleasantly directed there. Price was more than fair and for the value, felt like it was a good meal.
Others may rate it higher - and if we did not prefer more "kick" in our food - we might have rated them higher too. the place was clean, well staffed and was busy with lots of folks who were enjoying themselves.
So... if you prefer miler mexican food - this place will suit your needs but if you want more authentic - you may want to request the spicier dishes on the menu to get something more in tune with the typical authentic mexican faire.

1  Thank Forty2gether
Reviewed August 15, 2012

After several years out of the area, I was thrilled to get back to La Hacienda in August 2012. I was glad to see that little had changed; the food was still fantastic and the lunch specials are a great deal (a smaller (actually, still more than ample) portion and drink for 6-8 bucks). Try the shredded beef chimichangas; they're out of this world. Great place all around.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Solid, basic Mexican food, very popular with Hispanics in Madison and Anglos who like "real" Mexican atmosphere.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

My favorite burrito in madison! Great salsa. This is where I always go for lunch if I want mexican. Also would recommend the queso fundito