“Good lunch buffet”
Review of Maharaja Restaurant - CLOSED

Maharaja Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Amazing home-cooked authentic food with exotic seasonings & curries!! Our family favorite for the past 5 years!!! Friendly, honest staff. Good customer service. Good customer mix of Madisonian types plus authentic foreigners eating authentic Indian food.
“Good lunch buffet”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

I like the lunch buffet - extraordinary caul for the money! I wouldn't call this gourmet cooking, by any stretch, but it is really decent food. The buffet lets you sample lots of flavors and they're really busy at noon so the food is very fresh.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Disappointing food, forget decor and ambience”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

While passing through Madison I craved Indian tandoori food. Went to yelp and this place was highly recommended with some awards. After seeing the food I was like Who are these bland reviewers??? Cannot believe how poor the taste and texture of the food was. I am a foodie and this place didn't cut it. I make better food at home. To test if a Indian restaurant is good you got to try their Tandoori dishes and 2 curries- 1) butter chicken and 2) goat curry. My menu was simple and details are as following--
Chicken tikka , which looked fine but taste was bland and portion size poor for the price - I am sure theirs is not some exotic organic poultry. Next the lamb seekh kabab - didnt taste like lamb, had a coating of egg, portion was again poor for price (what wrong with these people- this isn't french food) and overall taste was needy. Their tandoori roti breads were "not" tandoori at all, instead just a flattened piece of dough on cooked on a flat pan, it was uncooked and very thick in some parts. Butter chicken should be the signature dish but it was more like what happened here???? Last the basic red meat dish from the Indian subcontinent -Goat Curry!! very! very! sad. Both the curries lacked the spices, texture, and taste meant for these dishes. Overall I would say that the menu items are overpriced (for food quality and quantity); below average cleanliness (sticky table top, floor, etc) , really cheap silverware (even the chinese worker making them wouldn't use it), uninformed host/waiting staff, barely average ambiance and decor. I challenge all the food critic awards that this place has got. Critics were either blind or lacking taste buds or they had no clue how the Indian food tastes like!!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank 783rohits
Madison, WI
“Waiter needs to know English”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I haven't had much Indian cuisine but my friend who was with me has so we decided on the Maharaja Restaurant. I had to point to the drink on the menu that I wanted. Not a good sign. I ordered the Salmon Tikka and the waiter delivered Chicken Tikka. Because my friend and I had just shared a chicken appetizer, I was looking forward to the salmon. When I said I ordered the salmon, the waiter insisted that I had ordered the chicken. My friend heard me order the salmon so it wasn't my mistake. Rather than raise a fuss, I ate the chicken. It was quite spicy even though I ordered mild. However, the onions in the dish were sweet and cooked perfectly. The portion was generous so that I had leftovers to take home. My friend and I ordered a dessert, Ras Malai (fresh homemade cheese patties cooked in a special condensed milk with pistachios), and two spoons. The waiter (a different one than the one who took our entree order) brought us two dishes so we each had our own portion. Very tasty. The menu noted that dessert was $3.95 yet our bill was for $4.50 - maybe because of being served in two different dishes rather than one. I might go back for the lunch buffet to get a sampling of different foods. I'm hesitant to return for dinner.

• Visited July 2014
Darien, Connecticut
“I crave Indian cusine, but this didn't make the cut”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Indian food is one of my favorites and I've had great meals in NYC, London, and some other outposts in the US - I also make the basics at home. This was my second dinner at Maharaja and it didn't satisfy. We started the meal with vegetable samosas which were small, and made of a dry cardboard like pastry with an equally dry filling. Our main dishes were an acceptable chicken tandoori and a lamb vindaloo (requested spicy) with sides of poori and raita. The bread and raita were fine but the vindaloo was a big disappointment. It tasted like a nondescript generic curry sauce, not hot and tangy- think Trader Joes curry sauce in a jar - the lamb bits were tasty but most of the dish was made up of large cubes of potatoes. It was not remotely authentic Indian cuisine. The main dining room was light and pleasant, but the bathrooms were a bit messy - paper on the floor and towel disposal receptacles held closed by scotch tape, etc.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank mary n
Fresno, California
“Delicious food in town”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Recently we spend one week in Madison area and this restaurant becomes one of my favorite, We visited in lunch two times and enjoyed the delicious Buffet, There were lot of meat and veggie items in the buffet. ITEMS, RAVA DOSA, MUTTON CURRY,TADKA DAL,CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA, CHICKEN SOUP,RASMALAI AND MANGO ICECREAM WERE REALLY VERY TASTY AND Complementary fresh nan is served at the table as bonus to price of a buffet.We also visited this restaurant two times in the evening and enjoyed the dinner. CHICKEN MALAI TIKKA , BUTTER CHICKEN AND BHINDI MASALA WERE MOUTH WATERY ITEMS. Owner love to make items as per your choice. We will definitely visit this place on our next visit.

• Visited June 2014