“Great seafood”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Blue Marlin is a quaint and nice little restaurant off the corner of the Capital square.

Before I had them in Baltimore, I was convinced Blue Marlin's crab cakes were the best. The oysters seemed pretty fresh here as well.

The entree menu is a little lacking in variety, but it is compensated for in quality. The monkfish and the scallops are great. I also remember several of the specials being quite good as well.

My experiences with the service here was great as well. For the Midwest, the seafood here is pretty top-notch and is far better than the Ocean Grill, its main competitor which is now apparently closed.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Went tonight during restaurant week. It has been a long time since I was last here and honestly it will be a long time till I go back again. The restaurant is still very charming and the menu reads good but the delivery was just ok. I can understand that during restaurant week you have a limited menu, but at least deliver your best. The biggest fail of the evening was the service. Our waitress was so obviously put out, she could not even bother to look us in the eyes. Wow. This was our 4th restaurant in restaurant week and it was such a disappointment. Oh we'll, all can't be winners.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Blue Marlin has been around Madison for years and for good reason. You can do no better in the seafood department than anything served at this restaurant. Prices are consistent with an upscale restaurant downtown, it is in walking distance of everything the Capitol square has to offer, and the service is consistently excellent. I adore their crab legs, and the dessert menu is also really good. I had a tres leches cake there for my birthday that was heavenly. Perfect for a special occasion, or any occasion you feel like trying outstanding seafood!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Blue Marlin has survived here a lone time so they are doing something right. The waitstaff is well trained and the fish is fresh. I had a pound and a half of king crab legs for 46 dollars and it was excellent and worth the price. More than I could eat and I can eat a lot of crab legs. Would it kill them to include a potato in the price though? We did order a potato dish that was good and brussel sprouts that were overcooked. We also had to send back an over cooked desert which was immediately removed from our bill. My wife had seared tuna that was excellent. I still recommend this cozy place and would return.

1  Thank LorenD1
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We visited the Blue Marlin for the first time in many years. They extended restaurant week to include the Saturday night we dined there. My shrimp diablo was excellent, very flavorful. However, 2 of our friends ordered the trout served over some kind of a beet dish which was very bad. For the amount of money it costs to dine in downtown Madison, we did not expect to be disappointed.

1  Thank tripofthemonth