“Been a long time and it will be a long time before I go back” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Madison
“Been a long time and it will be a long time before I go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Went tonight during restaurant week. It has been a long time since I was last here and honestly it will be a long time till I go back again. The restaurant is still very charming and the menu reads good but the delivery was just ok. I can understand that during restaurant week you have a limited menu, but at least deliver your best. The biggest fail of the evening was the service. Our waitress was so obviously put out, she could not even bother to look us in the eyes. Wow. This was our 4th restaurant in restaurant week and it was such a disappointment. Oh we'll, all can't be winners.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Madison, Wisconsin
“Best Seafood in Madison”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Blue Marlin has been around Madison for years and for good reason. You can do no better in the seafood department than anything served at this restaurant. Prices are consistent with an upscale restaurant downtown, it is in walking distance of everything the Capitol square has to offer, and the service is consistently excellent. I adore their crab legs, and the dessert menu is also really good. I had a tres leches cake there for my birthday that was heavenly. Perfect for a special occasion, or any occasion you feel like trying outstanding seafood!

• Visited August 2012
Waunakee, Wisconsin
“Pricey but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Blue Marlin has survived here a lone time so they are doing something right. The waitstaff is well trained and the fish is fresh. I had a pound and a half of king crab legs for 46 dollars and it was excellent and worth the price. More than I could eat and I can eat a lot of crab legs. Would it kill them to include a potato in the price though? We did order a potato dish that was good and brussel sprouts that were overcooked. We also had to send back an over cooked desert which was immediately removed from our bill. My wife had seared tuna that was excellent. I still recommend this cozy place and would return.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank LorenD1
“Mixed review from our group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We visited the Blue Marlin for the first time in many years. They extended restaurant week to include the Saturday night we dined there. My shrimp diablo was excellent, very flavorful. However, 2 of our friends ordered the trout served over some kind of a beet dish which was very bad. For the amount of money it costs to dine in downtown Madison, we did not expect to be disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank tripofthemonth
Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible, overpriced bland food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Horrible, overpriced bland food. My wife and I were astonished at how the food had no taste, no garnishes. We had to ask for more complimentary bread as that was the only thing that was halfway decent to eat. It was an altogether unpleasant experience.

Visited July 2012