WINNER WONDERLAND

“Wonderful Birthday Place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Etoile Restaurant

L'Etoile Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Etoile Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 956 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: East Washington
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
“Wonderful Birthday Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

My wife and I share a birthday. Our son and his wife treated us to dinner last night at L'Etiole. They have changed format to a chef's choice tasting menu. We opted for the Seven Course offering with wine paring. It was incredible. The service was most attentive but not intrusive. Our party required dietary modifications which they accomodatd handily even to the point of substituting a wine pairing for a nonmenu replacement. Each course was an amazing creation using locally sourced foods.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank michiganwanderer7

Memphis, Tennessee
“Great cocktails; high prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a very nice restaurant with good food and service. It has a very impressive cocktail service with very unusual combinations and liquors. The food uses local ingredients and is similarly top-notch. The issue is price. Some of the cocktails are very reasonable (around $12) but a few were $20 - I don't think I've seen those prices in New York or Vegas. Some of the entrees were also very high (around $50). I really liked the place, but the prices are an issue.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Memphis_piranha
Ann Arbor
“Big City quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Maybe it's because Madison is a state capitol, but this restaurant far exceeded expectations for fine dining. It could have been a much more expensive meal, but we were not that hungry and we all opted for two first courses. Nevertheless, these came with an amuse bouche and a small taste of cold soup. I had the smoked salmon and the local greens salad. Both delicious, but my companions really scored with the risotto. Get the salmon, but share it and order the risotto! The wine list was lovely, with the by-the-glass options to be quite nice without needing to order a whole bottle if your table has different preferences as mine did. The staff were very professional with out being stuffy. I'd go again and get the full experience next time!

Note that this restaurant is the same building with the much busier "Graze." We couldn't get in there and in the end were quite happy that "'L'Etiole had open tables... You don't have to spend a fortune to eat well here.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank A2Steph
Milton, Wisconsin
“Girls Night out!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

I made reservations on our way back from Wolershine Winery. They asked if I had any food allergies when making the reservation!!! What a GREAT idea!! I am gluten free, so very much appreciated this! My food sensitivity was confirmed when we were seated! Our waiter, Patrick, did a very nice job! I was the designated driver, or would have loved to have tried the wine flights offered. Enjoyed listening to the wine steward as he brought wine to other tables. The view is nice as others have said, looking directly to the capitol. The pre-appetizer was very thinly sliced apples with a nice sauce. The appetizer was a salad with cold veal. Both were great! We both ordered steak for dinner, which was delicious! The desserts were just OK... the flourless cake was displayed beautifully on the plate, but lacked taste. My girlfriend tried the creme brule, but didn't care for it. It was fun to try a new venue! I am very pleased that they us locally sourced ingredients!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Karen B
Madison, Wisconsin
“Felt E'lite at L'Etoile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We have had 3 excellent meals at L'Etoile. The view of the Capitol out the front window is beautiful. They use only locally sourced ingredients for their offerings, which changes daily. They have one of the best wine selections in the city with excellent staff knowledge. Because the menu changes frequently, I will just say that we have never had a meal that wasn't wonderfully prepared and presented by a very attentive staff. A few of our exceptional offerings have been Lettuce Soup w/fried chicken, Beet Salad and superb Steaks. Worth the price.

• Visited May 2014