“Madison actually has "FINE" dining...”

L'Etoile Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Etoile Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: East Washington
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Never in a million years would I have dreamed that Madison could support fine dining. My visit to L'Etoile with my family was an experience that I sincerely believed could not be had in Madison. Let’s face it; Madison is not exactly a bastion of fine dining nor is it the culinary capital of the state. Perhaps that’s the impetus for L'Etoile.

The chef sources most of the menu from farms in Wisconsin. We found the ingredients fresh and very flavorful. The combinations were created to please the eye and the palate. Every dish was prepared properly and each bite complimented the next.

The wine list is appropriate for the menu; its depth and breadth were enlightening. (There are wines for every budget)

I was especially impressed with the cheese selection offered for the last course. For that moment, I felt as if I were in a fine European restaurant.

My sincere gratitude to Chef Tory Miller and his staff; for they really exemplify what a total restaurant experience is all about.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I checked "on of the best meals" and it was, but we have had MANY best meals in MANY great places! This was one of them. The farm to fork is especially nice, not only because it is "green" but it is good! The setting is sophisticated (I think it's one of the best spaces in Madison), and the service is extraordinary. The food (after all, that's what we were there for) was fantastic. We tried a little of everything and it was all creative and delicions and so well prepared. I had a first course (the rabbit and carrot terrine--FRESH and light with amazing texture, color and flavor), and two Mid Courses rather than an entree course. I am so glad I did that. I loved the warm tomato soup with rock shrimp "salad." It sounded good and interesting, but it exceeded my expectations! I followed with the pork tenderloin medalions with white beans and the vegetable sauce and sides were excellent flavor blends. My family co-diners had scallops and pork chop, both quite good, but I felt really pampered with the assorted choices and flavors in my two mid-course plates.

Dessert was ordered--the rhubarb with pound cake and the chocolate choice. Everyone was most pleased with their splurges!

We really enjoyed the experience, food, space, service, and the price was appropriate for all we recieved.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Probably one of the top ten restaurants i have ever been. Very pricey but we made reservations early, were seated right up front. watched the sun set on the Capitol, as the lights came up. Dinner was a long event.A little appetizer to start, wine. Then a small plate, escargot. Heaven. A salad, with heirloom like cherry tomatoes, roasted hazelnuts, and a bed of field greens in a, tangy, horseradishy dressing. fantastic. then dinner.. sea scallops.. amazing. creme brulee for dessert.. perfect.wine pairings were lovely. exceptional service, amazing views. one of the most romantic meals.ever.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

A special occasion. We had the charcuterie plate to start, then each of us had 3 more courses plus a dessert course. This was a long, interesting meal. We knew that it would be very expensive, so that wasn't a surprise. Our server was positively lovely. Our table was in the rear of the restaurant. To be fair, we chose this after originally being seated next to the front window. We preferred the rear as it seemed less cramped in next to neighboring tables. The back of the restaurant has zero ambiance. Zero. Sit in the front.
The food had hits and misses. We were generally pleased with it, and there were some real knockouts. At issue for us were the wine pairings that we ordered with each course. We were not in agreement with the choices for several of the courses, and in retrospect, we probably should have chosen our own. We do like the fun of occasionally putting ourselves in the hands of a good sommelier, but this was not the venue for that.
All in all, the charcuterie plate was simply outstanding, the entrees didn't thrill us (pan fried gnocchi was tough and chewy, fish was chewy and bland0 Hot and Sour soup interpretation was lovely. A fun experience, we are glad that we went but probably won't return because the atmosphere was just a little clinical for a special night.

3  Thank LikesBooksWi
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Wow. Really nice. Oh yah, really expensive. White table cloth, multiple courses, small servings, distinctive flavors to each bite. Wonderful meal. Great service. Probably won't go again. Too expensive. If I want to spend over a couple hundred on dinner and a moderate bottle of wine, I'll do it in Chicago or San Francisco.

1  Thank David N