“Just ok”

The Great Dane Pub & Brewing Co.
Ranked #22 of 1,065 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, British
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

I want to love this place as much as someone must given the crowds, but the food is just ok (sounds better than it is) and the beer gives me a headache every time. I make sure to order wine at this brewery because I don’t want to suffer after one or two beers. I know others who feel the same way. It’s weird but true. Service and atmosphere are good, bathrooms lack something to be desired.

1  Thank ACam519
Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed August 13, 2018

Offers visitors many options; depending on which of the several spaces you visit it's a brewpub, a pool hall, a biergarten, or a rathskeller. All have a comfortable feel, good but not great food, and excellent beer. This is a good place to gather with friends.

Reviewed August 11, 2018

We stopped by for dinner one night while in Madison. The bar side was pretty busy but the restaurant was not too busy. I ordered a burger medium and it was served rare, basically raw. I can eat rare steak but not hamburger, it was inedible. The service was very slow and not very attentive. Overall a bad experience. We had a group of friends that went for dinner a hour or so before we did, they had the same experience. It seems like they were either short staffed or just had bad kitchen staff. I don't think I would go back here to eat and would not recommend to others.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

Came here for beer mainly but needed an evening meal as well. The trouble with the food is that they are trying but not necessarily successful. On one night I had salmon. It was on a bed of puréed carrots and also had some kind of honey glaze. It wasn’t poor but for me the flavour combinations just didn’t work so I worked my way through it but didn’t enjoy it. Second night I had the chicken pot pie which had both a pastry crust and the mash on top. One or other felt like it would be more sensible.

Accepting that the food wasn’t brilliant I found this to be the best of the three breweries in town. There was a great variety of beer there and the barman gave me a taste of several beers gratis. All the beers I tried were distinctive and were of a high standard. I’m not an expert as such so officianados May disagree but I liked it.

Overall lively city bar worth a visit if you are in town and prices were very sensible.

Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

Tried a few beer tastes and settled for a nice draft made in Wisconsin while husband tried a nitro beer. Had the burger and brat on a pretzel roll and cheese curds. Delicious on all accounts. The brat patty was a bit much but took half home due to large portions. Knowledgeable server.