“Service slow,food ok Place to gather with friends for a beer or two in Downtown Madison”

The Great Dane Pub & Brewing Co.
Ranked #6 of 1,014 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, British
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Two of us stopped in for a sandwich following a midday UW men's basketball game. Place not too busy but took a few minutes before a hostess came to seat us and several minutes before we even saw a server. After placing our order the food was served fairly quickly. Enjoyed our sandwiches.
This pub would be a fun Place to meet up with friends gathering for drinks. Pub brews own beer and will give a sample before ordering. I'm not too fond of their brews though.

Downtown location with ramp down the street. This is one of a few Great Dane Pub's.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great pub food with many vegetarian options that are house made. There are the usual choices for the typical pub frequenter, but the more healthy options make it easier to satisfy the varied tastes of a large group. The staff is very accommodating and friendly and the Great Dane has become a must stop for us when we are visiting our family in Madison.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

They have free shuffle board, so we asked to play and it would be about 20 mins. I put my name in waited for over 20 mins so I went to the bar and was told we should wait longer. Went up to the bar later and was still waiting. Eventually we did not get a table and the bar gave me a token and said, "this is good for a free drink". I went to the bar and ordered a shot just to leave the place and was told this is only good for beer. I said fine I'll take and beer and was told, "no you ordered it, you have to pay for it", so they made me pay for the shot. basically I was pretty upset about the whole experience and will not go there again

1  Thank Dempko
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Atmosphere was great, food was great, Staff was on the rude side, they were not very inviting to customers. I would come back.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We all like the Great Dane but I think they might be coasting a bit. Went to the downtown location the other night with clients. Understand it's a brew pub but these days everyone knows to keep a decent wine list. I had an indifferent Merlot and a slightly better Cabernet. I could tell our out of town ale-lovers were just a bit disappointed with the homemade ale. But I've seen the same folks go ga-ga over Lakefront. The appetizer menu remains heavy on the fried options and no one really loved their meal. I'm told the pasta dish was actually chewy and bland and my caesar salad was flavorless and topped with under cooked salmon. The server was attentive but short with us - I think she had better places to be. Not sure if this was an off night overall or indicative of a complacency that is leading to mediocrity.