“Great atmosphere!”

Essen Haus
Ranked #172 of 1,037 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Essen Haus invites you to take a trip to Germany without ever leaving Madison. Experience German food, bier and culture from the time you arrive until the time you say Auf Wiedersehen. Essen Haus proudly features 16 rotating German tap bier selections, a wide variety of bottled imports, traditional German entrees, live oompah music and a friendly staff dressed in Old-World German attire. A perfect location for banquets, holiday parties, special events or simply a fun night out.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

On this occasion I was just meeting up with some of my friends who are in the Stein Club (or whatever they call there official drinking organization) I had my son's UW graduation party here many years ago and have ate here many a time but this time it was for just good camaraderie!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I can't believe the Dane County Health Dept allows this much filth in a restaurant. Tables and chairs are dirty, the carpet is filthy and smells. If you happen to be there after some heavy rains be ready for the stinch, not sure if it's from the basement or the carpets. The food is not bad but I can't go into this place without getting sick. Otherwise staff is friendly. Location is great and parking is easy.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I went on a Tuesday evening when they offered live music. The music was entertaining but the place was empty. As per many German Restaurants, it was very dark on the inside because of all the wood but this place was almost dirty looking. Many of the taps were broken or lines messed up, which was a shame. I ordered schnitzel with red cabbage and potatoes. It was an extremely large portion and probably the best schnitzel I have had lately. The sides were just average, nothing special. Prices were a little steep but considering the portion size (two people could have easily shared my entree). The locals around the bar that visit daily were very friendly and helpful with menu and beer selections. Basically, I liked my meal and my time at the restaurant but moreso because of the locals around the bar than the staff and restaurant itself. OH and the home made mustard was AWESOME!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We eaten there over the years, last time 3 yrs. ago. Place is dirty, tables are dirty, chairs are worn and dirty, the costumes the wait staff wears are very dirty..... like ground in dirt over a long period of time. Food is too expensive as I lost my appetite from looking around. The wait staff was happy and great, it's just dirty. My husband and I said at the same time, "I'd hate to see the kitchen."

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My first trip here was in 2007 or 8, and my most recent trip was March 2013. From all of that (but mostly the recent trip) here's my pros and cons-
Pros:
Fun place to bring out of town guests for a drink (or more) or celebrate a birthday
Beer selection is good and sizes range from 0.5L all the way to 5L (yes, 5L)
Free popcorn (this may only be served in the evenings, I've never been there for lunch)
Large bar and seating area (on a weekday there is generally no problem finding a spot)
Fun live polka music at night on the weekends
Connected to another bar (the Come-back-in) which also has live music
Interesting atmosphere with mugs hanging from the ceiling

Cons:
Like many other reviews noted, the place needs a good cleaning and some rehab, the bathrooms are especially unappealing
The place is always packed on the weekends (good for business, bad for finding seating in the bar area and general cleanliness)
I've only had the food a few times and it's been so-so, consequently most trips here just involve drinks after dinner elsewhere